• WARNING: Tube/Valve amplifiers use potentially LETHAL HIGH VOLTAGES.
    Building, troubleshooting and testing of these amplifiers should only be
    performed by someone who is thoroughly familiar with
    the safety precautions around high voltages.

need single state preamp schmatic.

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
jj2 said:
I am new to tube, would like to build a single stage pre amp. tubes that I have are 76, 6sn7, 12au7, 12ax7. thanks

I agree with Frank that the 6SN7 is an easy place to start, but the 76 is also reported to be very good sonically, and as it's not directly heated, shouldn't be any more difficult to design with. There should be a ton of schematics out there on the web.

Suggestions for what to do with the 76/6SN7 would be easier to make if we had some idea of the amount of gain you want, the B+ you're going to use and the amount of money you have to spend. How many of each type do you have?

The 12AU7 would be my last case choice from your list, but would probably be easily adapted to any 6SN7 cct, so if you breadboarded the circuit you could try that one later and see what you think (needs different socket). The 12AX7 is not as well suited to linestage use as the others.

If you'd also like to understand about tube circuits, and a linestage is the easiest place to start, go to www.tubecad.com and download and read the article entitled Grounded Cathode Amplifiers. It's easy to read and explains some of the principles involved and the circuits described there are like most lineamps.

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.