Burn in small signal tubes? - diyAudio
Go Back   Home > Forums > Amplifiers > Tubes / Valves

Tubes / Valves All about our sweet vacuum tubes :) Threads about Musical Instrument Amps of all kinds should be in the Instruments & Amps forum

Please consider donating to help us continue to serve you.

Ads on/off / Custom Title / More PMs / More album space / Advanced printing & mass image saving

Old 31st October 2011, 10:45 AM   #1
diyAudio Member

Default Burn in small signal tubes?

Dear folks,

I often read that especial NOS tubes should be "burned in". Concerning high power types this might be necessary, but whatīs about all these small signal tubes? Do it makes sens to "burn in" those tubes like 12ax7/EF86 and so on? And why should it be done?
Assuming itīs true how to do it? Let them run for a few hours in a center biased load line and input a white noise signal? Or itīs enought to heat the tube and let flow a anode current of say 1/2 max?

Thanks a lot for your annotations..

best regards
Karsten
Old 31st October 2011, 11:20 AM   #2
Doz is offline Doz  United Kingdom
diyAudio Member

Mr Bench wrote an interesting bit about EF86 here :Tube-Town Germany - Hot Stuff Cool Sounds
which I have bourne out in my experiments. Lower the heater for a bit, then bring it back up again. I repeat this several times. EF86 quietens down nicely and very quickly, without having to resort to 100s of hours of burn in time.

This is the only tube I've ever tried it on though, so I can't speak of 12AX7 etc.
Old 31st October 2011, 11:25 AM   #3
SY is offline SY  United States
diyAudio Moderator

Yes, you want the getter to have a chance to clear out any residual gas.
Old 31st October 2011, 04:24 PM   #4
Bigun is offline Bigun  Canada
diyAudio Member

A bit off topic because these are not small signal tubes, but I had a chance to go through my box of ten 6S4S tubes in somebody's amplifier this weekend. Two of the tubes were not working - no sound. Then cracks and pops. After a couple of minutes they came to life and no issues afterwards. I guess this is burn-in ?
"The test of the machine is the satisfaction it gives you. There isn't any other test. If the machine produces tranquility it's right. If it disturbs you it's wrong until either the machine or your mind is changed." Robert M Pirsig.
Old 31st October 2011, 07:34 PM   #5
AJT is offline AJT  Philippines
diyAudio Moderator

maybe the pins are tarnished.....

Hide this!Advertise here!