Frank's Pre Still In Vogue? - Page 2 - diyAudio
Go Back   Home > Forums > Amplifiers > Tubes / Valves

Tubes / Valves All about our sweet vacuum tubes :) Threads about Musical Instrument Amps of all kinds should be in the Instruments & Amps forum

Please consider donating to help us continue to serve you.

Ads on/off / Custom Title / More PMs / More album space / Advanced printing & mass image saving

Old 30th October 2011, 11:44 AM   #11
diyAudio Member

You guy's are talking phono (MM, MC) preamps or just line stages here?

We are talking line stages. If we were talking MM or MC phono preamps I would have recommended your design of preamp with your multiple power supplies.

From personal experience with the Aikido I don't think that a regulated supply would be of a benefit because of the cancellation of the power supply noise in the Aikido circuit.

With your circuit Frank I could tell a difference just using a shunt VR regulated design. To me this means a difference with a good regulated design in my opinion.
Old 30th October 2011, 12:15 PM   #12
SY is offline SY  United States
diyAudio Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by 6BG6GA View Post
With your circuit Frank I could tell a difference just using a shunt VR regulated design. To me this means a difference with a good regulated design in my opinion.
That's the tradeoff- the Aikido has good power supply rejection, but at the expense of more tubes. A more basic circuit will have worse PSR, transferring the complexity to the power supply. Take your choice.

The PSR of the topology Frank uses can be greatly improved, in fact made better than the Aikido, but there's a parts-count penalty for doing so.
Old 30th October 2011, 02:50 PM   #13
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by SY View Post
The PSR of the topology Frank uses can be greatly improved, in fact made better than the Aikido, but there's a parts-count penalty for doing so.
You can't just stop at that... how would you recommend accomplishing this task?
Old 30th October 2011, 11:46 PM   #14
diyAudio Senior Member

Hi,

What SY says is correct for the MM preamp part. That's the part that benefits most from a band aid such as a well regulated supply.

Not the MC part and certainly not the White CF which sports excellent PS rejection by design and a 0.1 gain loss...

Unless you'd want a buffered volume control to drive longish capacitive ICs and want to build my ultimate CD volume control using "sucker" parts (just kidding), there is little point in going overboard on the PSU for that section.

The line level preamp will be as transparant as the sum of the parts used. A mild insertion loss (gainwise) but that's all there is to it.
A transparancy from the volume control nowhere near anything you ever heard. There you go, high end audio for not exactly peanuts but at least you know which way to look.

Ciao,
Old 30th October 2011, 11:59 PM   #15
diyAudio Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by thefragger View Post
You can't just stop at that... how would you recommend accomplishing this task?
Just to be clear, we're talking about the line amp. If the cathode of the voltage amp is held at AC ground and the plate load is made high (a CCS, a gyrator, or a good plate choke, for example), the PSR of the first stage can be increased. For example, if you use two red LEDs to bias the cathode and a CCS with a 50M impedance (easy to do), you'll get about 75dB more PSR. The CF will then be the limitation, with a PSR of roughly 26dB. That can be improved by bootstrapping via another tube section or a MOSFET.
Old 31st October 2011, 01:41 AM   #16
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by SY View Post
Just to be clear, we're talking about the line amp. If the cathode of the voltage amp is held at AC ground and the plate load is made high (a CCS, a gyrator, or a good plate choke, for example), the PSR of the first stage can be increased. For example, if you use two red LEDs to bias the cathode and a CCS with a 50M impedance (easy to do), you'll get about 75dB more PSR. The CF will then be the limitation, with a PSR of roughly 26dB. That can be improved by bootstrapping via another tube section or a MOSFET.

I need to do more reading after my midterms are over!
Old 9th September 2012, 08:34 PM   #17
Yaho is offline Yaho  United States
diyAudio Member

Default please show me the way!

HTML Code:
For example, if you use two red LEDs to bias the cathode and a CCS with a 50M impedance (easy to do)

SY, I hear you but I can't understand what you are saying. Would elaborate for me? What i am hearing is to trap 2 diodes for each cathode instead of a Rk. Am I hearing you right? If so what type of LEDs?

Further, what do you mean by 50M impedance?

HTML Code:
That can be improved by bootstrapping via another tube section or a MOSFET
I am not getting what you are saying. ..Your lips move but I can't hear what your saying I ... have become...

Thank you!

Last edited by Yaho; 9th September 2012 at 08:37 PM. Reason: I needed to add a sentence.
Old 10th September 2012, 09:05 AM   #18
AJT is offline AJT  Philippines
diyAudio Moderator

hey yaho, you build the thorsten line amp many years ago did you not? how did you find the sound?
Old 10th September 2012, 09:29 AM   #19
diyAudio Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Yaho View Post
SY, I hear you but I can't understand what you are saying. Would elaborate for me? What i am hearing is to trap 2 diodes for each cathode instead of a Rk. Am I hearing you right? If so what type of LEDs?

Further, what do you mean by 50M impedance?
http://syclotron.com/ImPassePreamplifier.pdf

Hopefully, this will be a clearer explanation.
Old 11th September 2012, 12:52 AM   #20
Yaho is offline Yaho  United States
diyAudio Member

Quote:
hey yaho, you build the thorsten line amp many years ago did you not? how did you find the sound?
Indeed! You have a great memory! It sounds very neutral. I like it a lot. Here is the link.
RIAA and Linestage for life time

I now want to build a different one. The joy of being a diyer!

BTW, I ended up using a step attenuator instead of the 100k input log.

Quote:
Hopefully, this will be a clearer explanation.
Me too! It's not about your explanation, it's about my ignorance in the subject matter. I am reading it.

BTW. Are you the author of this article? Wow, incredible!

Thanks Sy!

Last edited by Yaho; 11th September 2012 at 12:59 AM.

Hide this!Advertise here!