• WARNING: Tube/Valve amplifiers use potentially LETHAL HIGH VOLTAGES.
    Building, troubleshooting and testing of these amplifiers should only be
    performed by someone who is thoroughly familiar with
    the safety precautions around high voltages.

What are AES and NARTS?

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
I just couldn't go a week without a new thread. I'm still dealing with that old Regency amp -- new tubes, new caps, ready to rock and roll... The front plate with the pot desriptions was missing so I looked it up in the schematics and on the input knob the following inputs are listed:

1. Input 1
2. Input 2
3. Mag Input Flat 500
4. AES
5. NARTS

Can someone please tell me what AES and NARTS stand for?

Once upon a time there were competing rolloff curves for phono stages. There were also EQ curves for tape inputs. Later, tape decks took their EQ inboard. Phono EQ, of course, remains a separate issue. Looks as though you've got a full load of switchable EQs for different sources. If need be, I can probably track down the particulars, but since the only EQ curve that survives is the RIAA phono, it would mainly be of historic interest. I think that #3 is going to be a phono curve, but which one is difficult to tell. If it isn't RIAA, it's probably similar. Bear in mind that the RIAA curve underwent at least one revision that I can think of; they tweaked the bass. #4 & 5 are, I think, tape EQs, hence obsolete unless you happen to buy a tape deck from that era.

Grey

Thanks!

Grey-
Is there >anything< that you don't know? You are truly the Zen master at this. Anyway, thanks for all the help. She's up and running and sounds pretty good for my first restoration. Of course, since it's a mono amp, I guess it's time to build the number 2 from scratch. It's been a great learning experience but I'd really like to move into design from here. My guitar needs a new companion. Thanks again!

Ah, Grasshopper, when you can snatch the capacitor from my hand, you will have learned.
Master Po (sorta...)

Comes of living on mountain tops for, lo, these many years. It's hell on your social life, though.

And NARTS...that's what comes of eating too many hare-lipped beans.
To my knowledge, there's never been an EQ curve for tuners.

Grey

I'm trying to locate one of these Regency HF-150 amplifiers. Are you interested in selling yours or know where else to look for one of these ? I see you've not been active on this site for a long time, but I thought just maybe someone might know where to find an HF-150 working or not.
PJD

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.