The 6934A Triode Tube - Page 3 - diyAudio
Go Back   Home > Forums > Amplifiers > Tubes / Valves

Tubes / Valves All about our sweet vacuum tubes :) Threads about Musical Instrument Amps of all kinds should be in the Instruments & Amps forum

Please consider donating to help us continue to serve you.

Ads on/off / Custom Title / More PMs / More album space / Advanced printing & mass image saving

Old 26th October 2011, 11:23 PM   #21
AJT is offline AJT  Philippines
diyAudio Moderator

^yes, that is very much possible.......600ohms to 1ohm secondary or even less.....
Old 27th October 2011, 11:02 PM   #22
diyAudio Senior Member

Hi,

Quote:
Modest people don't claim that their own designs are brilliant (even when it is objectively true), they leave other people to say things like that.--- DF96
Those were modest and honest to god words. Promise.

Cheers,
Old 27th October 2011, 11:16 PM   #23
Account disabled at member's request

Frank,

How do you do that, post a quote from another thread here....
Old 27th October 2011, 11:20 PM   #24
diyAudio Senior Member

Hi,

Look, and you'll see it's a signature, not a quote as such.

Cheers,
Old 27th October 2011, 11:35 PM   #25
Account disabled at member's request

Ah yes I see; it sounded just so familiar and recent...
Old 28th October 2011, 11:39 AM   #26
diyAudio Member

Send a message via Yahoo to thetubeguy1954
Quote:
Originally Posted by fdegrove View Post
Hi,

That's one of those high altitude aviation regulator tube. Forget about it, it's too rare to be of any use.
Similar to its smaller brother the 6082.

Cheers,
Hey Fdegrove!

I have 8 NOS Tung-Sol 6394a tubes I picked up fairly cheaply ---{$200 for the eight tubes}--- after hearing the 6394a tubes driving a pair of "coke-bottle" 6L6 tubes in a preamp, made by a local fellow.

I really liked what I heard from the preamp in the system it was placed in, but unfortunately the owner won't bring the 6394a-based preamp to my house so I can hear it in my system, nor is the builder appearing inclined to build another of these preamps that I can listen to in my system.

The reason the builder doesn't want to build another of these preamps is because he says the power-supply that's needed to power this preamp is extremely costly & difficult to build. As I know squat about building preamps or their power supplies, I don't know if the statement about the power supply being extremely costly & difficult to build, is true or not! Any input from the more knowledgeable here?

Thetubeguy1954 (Tom Scata)
Old 28th October 2011, 11:44 AM   #27
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by HollowState View Post
You're quite right about finding tubes with matched or close sections. Back in the eighties, when I was actively dealing in vacuume tubes for gain, a fellow dealer had a large collection of 6394A's in his inventory. Since we were friends, he allowed me to sort through all that he had of this number. I tested all of them at JFF Research in Nutley New Jersey. This was a testing operation that served all the surplus dealers nation wide. John was an engineer and an ex-employee of ITT also in Nutley. (still is) From these I was able to gather several dozen that were pretty close section to section. Not perfect, but above average in match. I've been saving them for a big OTL someday. With a 1 amp filament, paralleling them is easier. They're the same wattage as 6336A's, but the lower amperage makes things easier.
Eye candy below. Tubes on the ends have dust on the tops, not bad getters.
Hello Hollow!

Those 6394a tubes are really beautiful looking tubes up close, don't you agree? Especially those all those thin gold wires running back & forth....

Old 28th October 2011, 06:15 PM   #28
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by thetubeguy1954 View Post
--- after hearing the 6394a tubes driving a pair of "coke-bottle" 6L6 tubes in a preamp, made by a local fellow.
Using a tube like a 6394, or it's variants, in a preamp is pretty bizarre. But I suppose I shouldn't be too surprised since I've seen and heard modern globe-shaped 2A3s in a preamp. Something from China, and it sounded very good. Incidentally, all the other 6394As, as well as all of his inventory (truckloads), went to a tube dealer in Florida. I don't remember which one it was, but I think it was someone relatively new and starting out at the time. This was the early, or mid, nineties.

Quote:
Especially those all those thin gold wires running back & forth....
Assuming you mean the grid wires, I don't think they're real gold. But they do look sorta gold colored on close inspection. If I knew it was real gold, I'd smash them all for recovery. (just kidding)

Victor
Old 28th October 2011, 06:21 PM   #29
SY is offline SY  United States
diyAudio Moderator

The grid wires are often gold plated because of work function and emissivity.
Old 28th October 2011, 06:52 PM   #30
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by tubelab.com View Post
I made an SE amp using 6336A's or any of the tubes with the same pinout and it sounded great. It was a cathode follower design using the "Augmented Cathode Follower" design as outlined in Ross MacDonalds 1957 patent. It made over 10 WPC limited by the OPT's and the power supply.

I now have a power supply capable of exceeding the needs for this amp, so I'll have to hook it back up some day.
Hi Tubelab,

What other tubes are you using with your 6336a tubes?

Hide this!Advertise here!