Go Back   Home > Forums > Amplifiers > Tubes / Valves

Tubes / Valves All about our sweet vacuum tubes :) Threads about Musical Instrument Amps of all kinds should be in the Instruments & Amps forum

Please consider donating to help us continue to serve you.

Ads on/off / Custom Title / More PMs / More album space / Advanced printing & mass image saving

Old 27th October 2011, 06:36 PM   #11
Defiant is offline Defiant  United States
diyAudio Member

A quick Google search revealed that your amp should be fitted with EL34's, not KT88's or 6550's.

I don't have a lot of experience with the current crop of EL34's. If the SED EL34 is still the same tube as the late 90's brown base Svetlana, then it should be fine.

Note that the current "Svetlana" tubes marketed in the US (and perhaps elsewhere) are NOT made by Svetlana in St. Petersburg. They are yet another Reflector tube with one of Mike Matthew's many brands stuck on it. From what I can see, the EH, Svetlana (Reflector, not SED), Mullard (Reflector, not NOS), and Sovtek EL34's all seem to have the same structure inside. The mica supports in the Svetlana and Mullard are different from the EH and Sovtek, but identical to each other. Im going to go out on a limb and say that these tubes all use most of the same parts. The micas are different, but thats no big deal. Cathode coatings may be different as well, but I wouldn't count on it. My guess is that the Svets and Mullards spend more time on the pumps and get culled a bit better than the cheaper EH and Sovteks, but that's about it. What can I say... I'm a cynic

I don't know much about the JJ's other than that JJ tubes in general seem to have a high failure rate. I also have no idea on the Shuguang tubes. Back in they day they were often good for a fireworks show, but i have heard that quality has improved. Who knows?

Anyway, that's my take on the state of modern tube production. Kinda makes a guy want to give it up and start tinkering with transistors
Old 28th October 2011, 03:39 AM   #12
diyAudio Member

VTL had so many models all with all sorts of variations in tube types and almost similar model type names. Defiant, is probably correct about the deluxe 100 using el34s. I also find the small tube complement in the OPs amp a bit odd. Most smaller VTLs use(d) 12AT7 and/or 12BH7 as drivers and phase-splitters.

Last edited by ihear21khz; 28th October 2011 at 03:50 AM.
Old 29th October 2011, 03:15 AM   #13
diyAudio Member

Hi, can anyone enlighten me that whether is this a VTL compact 100 or is it a VTL deluxe 100, are theses two the same using el34? Whats the diff between both of them? As i check the internet i could only find VTL compact 100, nothing on the De Luxe model.
Mine is the 2 pics attach and it reads VTL De Luxe 100, it is original wth kt88, drive ecc82 and ecc83? when i bougth it about 10yrs ago.

Thanks in advance.

http://i697.photobucket.com/albums/v...i/DSC02237.jpg
http://i697.photobucket.com/albums/v...i/DSC02234.jpg

Last edited by Sgkho249; 29th October 2011 at 03:24 AM.
Old 29th October 2011, 04:06 AM   #14
Defiant is offline Defiant  United States
diyAudio Member

My suggestion would be to E-mail VTL. They can give you the info you need. I am 99% positive those are DeLuxe 100's and that they should have EL34's.
Old 31st October 2011, 02:27 AM   #15
diyAudio Member

Defiant is correct. Tubes should be EL34s with 12AT7 small tubes. I hear that the current production Tungsol EL34B is rated highly. SgKoh, I sent you a pm. Did not receive a reply from you.

Cheers
Old 31st October 2011, 03:00 AM   #16
diyAudio Member

If EL34 is the right type for your amp you should consider the current re-issue of the GENALEX KT77. This is the most reliable version of the EL34 currently produced.
Old 31st October 2011, 05:45 AM   #17
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Defiant View Post
My suggestion would be to E-mail VTL. They can give you the info you need. I am 99% positive those are DeLuxe 100's and that they should have EL34's.

I've email them twice, but did not receive any reply. Thats why i came to diyaudio for help. and i came to the right site, all of you are so helpful.

thank you all
Old 31st October 2011, 05:48 AM   #18
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tubologic View Post
If EL34 is the right type for your amp you should consider the current re-issue of the GENALEX KT77. This is the most reliable version of the EL34 currently produced.
Thank you, will have a look at those KT77, BTW you have any expreience with them. How do they sound compare with kt88 or 6550.

thanks
Old 31st October 2011, 06:05 AM   #19
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by ihear21khz View Post
Defiant is correct. Tubes should be EL34s with 12AT7 small tubes. I hear that the current production Tungsol EL34B is rated highly. SgKoh, I sent you a pm. Did not receive a reply from you.

Cheers

Well i've had these VTL deluxe 100 for more than 10 years. But recently only 3yrs back started to use them again. They have very deep soundstage, wonderful amp.

The thing is that i bought it with kt88, ecc82, ecc83. If Defiant and you are correct, than i think the previous owner have change all the tubes. As you said its 12at7 small tubes, but mine is ecc83/82, i know that ecc83 can replace 12bh7a but what about 12at7. i've search and found out that most VTL uses 12at7, i'm also confuse about it, but really can find anything on VTL Deluxe 100

Thanks again
Old 31st October 2011, 07:45 AM   #20
diyAudio Member

There is no need to be confused. The right tubes for your amp are EL34 power tubes and 12AT7 small tubes. I have looked up an old edition of the VTL Book and it confirms what Defiant and I have told you.
Now go out and get yourself a set of correct tubes for your amp. For the EL34, my choice would be the SED Winged C EL34 as this is supposed to be from the factory that made the original Svetlana EL34 tube, probably the most balanced sounding modern EL34. It is what I use.
tube_new_sed
For the 12AT7, get the ElectroHarmonix 12AT7WA (non gold pin). You could use EI branded 12AT7 but this are a bit "fuzzier" and lacks a bit of detail and clarity when compared to the EH tube.
Cheers

Last edited by ihear21khz; 31st October 2011 at 08:01 AM.

Hide this!Advertise here!