• WARNING: Tube/Valve amplifiers use potentially LETHAL HIGH VOLTAGES.
    Building, troubleshooting and testing of these amplifiers should only be
    performed by someone who is thoroughly familiar with
    the safety precautions around high voltages.

help on 12AU7 Preamp circuit

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
Hello all,

I'm planning to add a tube preamplifier for my solid state power amp. the supply is +-25V. I designed a preamp circuit but not sure it will works fine. Can any one help me to check the design? many thanks

Attachments

• 12au7.jpg
    12au7.jpg
    56.9 KB · Views: 837
With the right value for anode resistor the smoothly non-linear second-order distortion created by the valve characteristic could be partly cancelled by clipping caused by grid current. The result would be low THD, at a particular volume level, but awful sound.

Astonishingly, this technique was actually advocated in an IRE Transactions paper in 1955 by J Z Knapp "Low Distortion Operation of Some Miniature Dual Triodes". I guess back then they didn't know how awful high-order distortion sounds.

wooo
a big mistake. grid shold be tite to VSS, not GND
look at this one
should I add a small positive voltage (vs VSS) to grid?
It also won't like the bias arrangement. Hint: Look at the potential between the grid and cathode - should be a few volts at most. (Need input cap and one more resistor..)

A 6DJ8 would work a lot better here.

Attachments

• 12au7.jpg
    12au7.jpg
    54.8 KB · Views: 605
Last edited:
Administrator
Joined 2004
Paid Member
I think I should also try with 6N8P(6NS7)

I assume you mean 6SN7 since you reference 6N8P - again not a great choice for low voltage operation.. The 6DJ8 will actually function fairly well with 50V across it, particularly if a CCS or choke is used as the plate load.

As DF96 points out higher voltage operation would be a better choice, and at 200V and above the 6SN7 will work fairly well.

OK, but don't put it up for sale on your website, some innocent person might take it seriously :)

Oh No, I said just for fun, pure personal project...unless it has amazing performance, haha, who knows? Maybe I can send it to a guru for review when it's done. But now I have to learn more about tube. It's a all new domain for a DSP and embedded guy like me. Hope you can help me:eek:

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.