• WARNING: Tube/Valve amplifiers use potentially LETHAL HIGH VOLTAGES.
    Building, troubleshooting and testing of these amplifiers should only be
    performed by someone who is thoroughly familiar with
    the safety precautions around high voltages.

Any info on a Trio AF-220 tuner?

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
I fell into a Trio AF-220 tuner and am having troubles finding any info, can anybody help me? I contacted Kenwood, but they don't have anything in their archives, and searches on the net don't lead to anything. Anyone know where to track down a schematic for this or something similar. The tubes are as follows: 2 x 12AT7, 4 x 6BA6, 1 x 6BE6, 1 x 6AU6, 1 x 6AL5, 1 x 6X4.
There are 5 outputs and they have me stumped as well labeled as follow: (0 = OUTPUT)

AM.FM.MX_____AM.MX________FM
____0____________0____________0________0______0
Monaural_______Right__________LEFT______MX ADAPTER

Did these units have real stereo as well as multipled stereo? And why did they do that?

One channel has low output and a heavy buzz, so I plan on trying to trouble shoot it, but is it worth it for this unit or does it belong in the parts bin?

Thanks for any insight.
Dave

Ex-Moderator
Joined 2003
GE/Zenith

The MPX outputs will be before de-emphasis. You need a GE/Zenith stereo decoder. FM stereo is transmitted by sending L+R as the mono signal and sending L-R on a Double SideBand Suppressed Carrier (amplitude modulation) at 38kHz. A 19kHz pilot tone is transmitted which is used to regenerate the carrier required for demodulation of the DSBSC. Once L-R have been recovered, they can be matrixed with L+R to produce L and R individually, and finally have de-emphasis applied.

There used to be all manner of chips available to do this (MC1310 was an early one). Fixing your hum problem is probably just a matter of replacing dried-out power supply electrolytics. Decoders are commonly available in the UK for retro-fitting to Leak Troughline tuners that had indifferent decoders.

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.