6N11 tube work at 24V power supply? - diyAudio
Go Back   Home > Forums > Amplifiers > Tubes / Valves

Tubes / Valves All about our sweet vacuum tubes :) Threads about Musical Instrument Amps of all kinds should be in the Instruments & Amps forum

Please consider donating to help us continue to serve you.

Ads on/off / Custom Title / More PMs / More album space / Advanced printing & mass image saving

Old 13th October 2011, 04:45 PM   #1
diyAudio Member

Default 6N11 tube work at 24V power supply?

I got an interesting headphone amplifier board today. There's a 6N11 tube on it, other silicons are 2xIRF630, 2xLM317 and 2 TO-92 transistor. The sound is fairly good with my HD600. Most interesting of all it is powered by single DC 24V! How can 6N11 work at such low voltage?

Google a bit, found that most 6N11 circuit need much higher voltage such as 150V or higher.

This is the headphone amp board
Attached Images
File Type: jpg DSCN8751.JPG (76.1 KB, 576 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_0244.jpg (59.9 KB, 552 views)
Old 13th October 2011, 04:52 PM   #2
Bone is offline Bone  United Kingdom
diyAudio Member

You will probably find that there is a voltage multiplier/inverter on the PCB to get this higher voltage.
Old 13th October 2011, 05:52 PM   #3
diyAudio Member

Is the circuit something like this?Click the image to open in full size.
Old 13th October 2011, 11:50 PM   #4
diyAudio Member

There's no voltage multipler on board. The circuit should be like the one VictoriaGuy posted but there's one more transistor to drive the gate.
See the following photo, the TO-220 on the left is IRF630, right is LM317. There's a small TO-92 transistor near the IRF630.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg CIMG0572.jpg (159.3 KB, 519 views)

Last edited by siliconray; 14th October 2011 at 12:03 AM.
Old 14th October 2011, 04:43 AM   #5
diyAudio Member

How about the sound of the 12AU7 headphone amp?
I'm thinking of build a hybrid amp with 12AU7+TDA8920 class D, what's your thought?
Old 14th October 2011, 05:31 AM   #6
AJT is offline AJT  Philippines
diyAudio Moderator

i think you will be better off with 6GM8 tubes as it is a low voltage tube...
Old 14th October 2011, 05:42 AM   #7
ericj is offline ericj  United States
diyAudio Member

Most all tubes will sort of work at low B+ voltage.

The distortion will be very high, but most of the distortion will be even-order distortion that most people perceive as sounding nice. And there is nothing wrong with that.

The (c) Rogers Gomez schematic looks like yet another variation on an amp designed a few years ago by a korean who went by the handle "sijosae" on the forums. He called this basic sort of design the Multi-Hybrid Headphone Amp or MHHA. He designed 6dj8 and 12au7 versions, with irf610 for output i think.

They were very popular back around 2004-2005. Many lookalikes have turned up on ebay.

Since the 6n11 is similar to a 6n1p which is similar to a 6dj8, i would assume that it's just another version.

There is nothing new under the sun, so i would not be surprised if it's been done before sijosae did it.
Old 14th October 2011, 05:53 AM   #8
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by siliconray View Post
How about the sound of the 12AU7 headphone amp?
I'm thinking of build a hybrid amp with 12AU7+TDA8920 class D, what's your thought?
Those little 'Bravo/G2-style' amps are fun (I've got one), but it's not a direction that holds much interest for me. I think the tube is a bit of a gimmick- same as in the 'tube preamp' guitar effects running tubes at low voltage.

I've assembled both SS (Panda) and tube (Crack) HP amps and they are both miles ahead of the little hybrid I have. (More $$ by factor of 4?, also.)

But give it a shot and let us know how it turns out!

EDIT: ericJ has given you the pointers you need.
Old 14th October 2011, 06:04 AM   #9
ericj is offline ericj  United States
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by VictoriaGuy View Post
Those little 'Bravo/G2-style' amps are fun (I've got one), but it's not a direction that holds much interest for me. I think the tube is a bit of a gimmick- same as in the 'tube preamp' guitar effects running tubes at low voltage.
Eh, whether or not a boatload of 2nd order harmonic distortion is a gimmick is a question of taste.

If you're going to run at low B+ there are space charge tubes, but 12au7 is cheaper than 12ae6a these days.
Old 14th October 2011, 07:33 PM   #10
Bigun is offline Bigun  Canada
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by ericj View Post
Most all tubes will sort of work at low B+ voltage.

Since the 6n11 is similar to a 6n1p which is similar to a 6dj8, i would assume that it's just another version.

The 6N1p is often touted as similar to the 6dj8, especially by ebay sellers. But it's not equivalent.

The 6dj8 is known to work well at low B+, but I doubt that the 6n1p works anywhere near as well.

A better choice, and a real equivalent to the 6dj8 is the 6n23p. Not sure if it's pin compatible with the 6n1p though.
"The test of the machine is the satisfaction it gives you. There isn't any other test. If the machine produces tranquility it's right. If it disturbs you it's wrong until either the machine or your mind is changed." Robert M Pirsig.

Hide this!Advertise here!