Go Back   Home > Forums > Amplifiers > Tubes / Valves

Tubes / Valves All about our sweet vacuum tubes :) Threads about Musical Instrument Amps of all kinds should be in the Instruments & Amps forum

Please consider donating to help us continue to serve you.

Ads on/off / Custom Title / More PMs / More album space / Advanced printing & mass image saving

Old 13th October 2011, 01:31 PM   #1
diyAudio Member

Default help me choose a high end opt for tubelabs SE!

currently i'm weighting in tango, hashimoto and tamura for the opt on my tubelab project. though i'm willing to stretch the budget for tamura fx000 series, i'm still not sure if it'll be justifiable even after reading whatever i could gather from this website.

seems that tango is the only contender against tamura but does anyone know what their sound characters are?

shipping from japan would be most economical choice(what joke) since i'm in a neighboring country, but i would still love to hear your opinions on what else i should be considering.
Old 13th October 2011, 04:13 PM   #2
kevinkr is offline kevinkr  United States
diyAudio Moderator

Silk, AE, Trafomatic, Bartolucci, and Lundahl come to mind as potential choices as well. (Shipping for all but Silk from Thailand would be steep..)

I really like the Tamura Amorphous Core F-5002, but I believe the entire series is now discontinued. Might be a few still lurking around in Japanese hifi shops..
Old 13th October 2011, 04:29 PM   #3
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by kevinkr View Post
Silk, AE, Trafomatic, Bartolucci, and Lundahl come to mind as potential choices as well. (Shipping for all but Silk from Thailand would be steep..)

I really like the Tamura Amorphous Core F-5002, but I believe the entire series is now discontinued. Might be a few still lurking around in Japanese hifi shops..
Never go Bartolucci!!!!!! I orderd one PTX, two chokes and two OPX, all C-core and pre paied. When i recieved them 8 weeks late and after upteen telephone calls i discovered that one of the output transformers was out of order, so I called Mr Bartolucci and he said that he would send me a new one. Before I recieved the new one I decided to open up the potted transformer that was defective and guess what I found.......an E-core. In the end I recieved the right transformers but dealing with Mr Bartolucci is a total disaster. If you have the time to wait 3 months for your stuff and are prepared to call him once a week to get him to send the transformers, just go ahead. Donīt forget to open up your potted transformers to check that you got what you paid for. For get it.......

Last edited by h00hbt; 13th October 2011 at 04:32 PM.
Old 13th October 2011, 04:37 PM   #4
kevinkr is offline kevinkr  United States
diyAudio Moderator

Ouch, that sounds like a total disaster, not my experience with Bartolucci at all, however my experience with them is a decade or more in the past. I guess caveat emptor applies here.
Old 13th October 2011, 04:54 PM   #5
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by PreSapian View Post
currently i'm weighting in tango, hashimoto and tamura for the opt on my tubelab project. though i'm willing to stretch the budget for tamura fx000 series, i'm still not sure if it'll be justifiable even after reading whatever i could gather from this website.

seems that tango is the only contender against tamura but does anyone know what their sound characters are?

shipping from japan would be most economical choice(what joke) since i'm in a neighboring country, but i would still love to hear your opinions on what else i should be considering.
I have used Hashimoto in several projects with excellent results, big BANG for the buck, go ahead......
Old 13th October 2011, 05:13 PM   #6
diyAudio Member

Slagle, Magnequest and Electra-Print also come to mind as possibilities.
Old 13th October 2011, 05:37 PM   #7
cjkpkg is offline cjkpkg  United States
diyAudio Member

May be some debate on the "high endness" but the giant CXSE's from Edcor are surely VERY nice bang for the buck.
Old 13th October 2011, 06:02 PM   #8
diyAudio Member

Also James 6123HS.........has multiple primary & secondary taps as well......2.5K, 3.5K and 5K and 4/8/16 ohm. Available in black or champagne.

Also IIRC, the Hashimotos are available at two different price points, the fancy potted canned ones $$$ and the stand-up end bell style $$.

Last edited by boywonder; 13th October 2011 at 06:05 PM.
Old 13th October 2011, 06:04 PM   #9
debk is offline debk  United States
diyAudio Member

i used Electraprint in my tubelab SE. Very happy with them

Debra
Old 13th October 2011, 06:34 PM   #10
Pano is offline Pano  United States
diyAudio Moderator

Any one else use the Electroprints? They look interesting.

Hide this!Advertise here!