help me choose a high end opt for tubelabs SE! - Page 2 - diyAudio
Go Back   Home > Forums > Amplifiers > Tubes / Valves

Tubes / Valves All about our sweet vacuum tubes :) Threads about Musical Instrument Amps of all kinds should be in the Instruments & Amps forum

Please consider donating to help us continue to serve you.

Ads on/off / Custom Title / More PMs / More album space / Advanced printing & mass image saving

Old 13th October 2011, 07:54 PM   #11
kevinkr is offline kevinkr  United States
diyAudio Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pano View Post
Any one else use the Electroprints? They look interesting.
Yes, I have custom 5K:32 ohm Electra-Print transformers in my 71A based headphone amp.. (They have dual 8 ohm secondaries for 8 or 32 ohm loads) They sound very good and measured quite well..

I also have 7K/150mA/40W Electra-Print OPTs in my GM70 amps which I am hoping to finish in the next couple of weeks.. I'm working on them today.. The transformers are massive as you might imagine.. The power transformers are custom as well and were made for me by Edcor.
Old 13th October 2011, 08:27 PM   #12
diyAudio Member

I agree with KevinKr. I have done 5 or 6 projects over the years with Electraprint iron with excellent results every time. Plus if you ask nicely Jack will also give excellent engineering advice also.
Old 13th October 2011, 08:51 PM   #13
smbrown is offline smbrown  United States
diyAudio Member

I have used Audio Note, Bartolucci, Electra Print, MQ (both parafeed and FS-030), and James. I think James is the best for cost vs. sonics, but MQ is hard to beat at any price. The SE transformers I still have on hand are MQ and James, the rest sold along the years.
Old 13th October 2011, 09:05 PM   #14
diyAudio Member

I have a pr of 5K:8 Electra-prints waiting patiently for a 45 version of the TubelabSE to get finished......haven't heard any yet, though.
Old 13th October 2011, 09:29 PM   #15
diyAudio Member

i also have a Elctra-print 5K:8ohm with partial silver secondary on the way , i will tell you hw it sounds .. i'v had two hashimoto transformer in ollder project.
Old 13th October 2011, 09:32 PM   #16
frugal-phile(tm)
diyAudio Moderator

No one has mentioned O'Netics... they are my goto if i have to buy new (i used a lot of vintage (ie found) iron)

dave
Old 13th October 2011, 10:57 PM   #17
diyAudio Member

All my amps are Electro prints. WOuld not use anything but.
Old 13th October 2011, 11:04 PM   #18
evanc is offline evanc  United States
diyAudio Member

Location: New Jersey. About 1 hour from NYC and 1 min. from the beach
I have electraprints in my se 45.....It's nice to deal with the owner and worker all at once....
Old 13th October 2011, 11:05 PM   #19
Pano is offline Pano  United States
diyAudio Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by planet10 View Post
No one has mentioned O'Netics...
Great stuff but Bud doesn't do a line of ready made SE iron, does he?
Old 13th October 2011, 11:39 PM   #20
diyAudio Member

i'm leery of james opts from hearing too many mixed opinions about them. they're usually opposite ends of the spectrum- either great or terrible. some rate them not as (or even close) to hashimoto, and for other gents it's the best deal there is. speaking of which, Hashimoto H-30 c-core is on the top of my list at the moment, after reading that newer tango is being manufactured in... china?!

bit of a side question but these so called potted transformers of the brands mentioned in this thread, are they really encapsulated in resin or is it only a name sake? if not resin, are they at least designed to be hermetically sealed when properly installed? i ask this because i want to prevent my new born son of developing chemical sensitivity from the solvents left to dry on the transformers.

hopefully spending on a premium brand means that i shouldn't have to worry for such inferior and hazardous manufacturing...

Hide this!Advertise here!