• Disclaimer: This Vendor's Forum is a paid-for commercial area. Unlike the rest of diyAudio, the Vendor has complete control of what may or may not be posted in this forum. If you wish to discuss technical matters outside the bounds of what is permitted by the Vendor, please use the non-commercial areas of diyAudio to do so.

help me choose a high end opt for tubelabs SE!

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
Last edited:
I did not answer this post at first since I assumed that it was all about transformers that were all beyond my budget. Now that the thread has ventured into familiar territory I can say that I tend to use "budget" OPT's but I have a set of custom Electra Print 5K:8 "10 watt" OPT's in my Tubelab SE. I run that amp wih 45's or 300B's and it is the best sounding amp I have built. It has been auditioned along side some rather expensive amps with favorable results. I got the Electra Prints so long ago that they were $100 each.

I have another Tubelab SE running triode wired 307A's that uses the large Edcors. It sounds nice, but is not as detailed as the Electra Print amp with 45's in it.

i read it on this forum through some arbitrary search. let me try to dig it up again.

oh gosh, what a grave mistake i would have made. i confused between tamura and tango... :p (#83)
http://www.diyaudio.com/forums/tube...four-help-me-choose-opt-se-9.html#post1842445

but here's another user talking about iso tango being chinese core (#44)
http://www.diyaudio.com/forums/tube...four-help-me-choose-opt-se-5.html#post1436149

i think the Chinese OEM did a great job. i am impressed quite a few amps that uses the Tango irons so far.

One Electron has been around for years but I've never tried one.

I bought a pair of UBT-3's several years ago. They are not bad OPT's and do sound quite good. They however have a higher DC resistance than most OPT's of similar size. This will lower the efficiency reducing the output power by about 5% compared to other OPT's in the class. The higher DCR will help damp out resonances and may have been intentional.

I can also state that my pair have been kicking around the workbench as test transformers for about 5 years, although they are kept in the original boxes when not in use. The laminations have developed a very light case of surface rust. This is not present on any other recently (5 years or less) purchased transformers in my lab. Some of the vintage stuff is quite rusty, but it came here that way.

is there a certain giant killer that compares favorably to japanese top dogs for much less money? i know the law of diminishing return is in full effect where i'm about to tread... but i would rather spend all my budget now on a component that will last indefinitely, than deal with the future upgrades and the constant wonderment how it could've sounded meanwhile...

for that my OCD mind is still pledged to hashimoto h30-3.5k :)

I did not answer this post at first since I assumed that it was all about transformers that were all beyond my budget. Now that the thread has ventured into familiar territory I can say that I tend to use "budget" OPT's but I have a set of custom Electra Print 5K:8 "10 watt" OPT's in my Tubelab SE. I run that amp wih 45's or 300B's and it is the best sounding amp I have built. It has been auditioned along side some rather expensive amps with favorable results. I got the Electra Prints so long ago that they were $100 each.

I have another Tubelab SE running triode wired 307A's that uses the large Edcors. It sounds nice, but is not as detailed as the Electra Print amp with 45's in it.

Tubelab and All,
I have read your counsel regarding the Electra-Print 5K:8R counsel in several locations now.
I followed the Electra-Print 5K:8R recommendation and purchased the same and have only glowing recommendations.
Not the most expensive, but definitely high end.
DT

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.