To connect or not to connect.......... - diyAudio
Go Back   Home > Forums > Amplifiers > Tubes / Valves

Tubes / Valves All about our sweet vacuum tubes :) Threads about Musical Instrument Amps of all kinds should be in the Instruments & Amps forum

Please consider donating to help us continue to serve you.

Ads on/off / Custom Title / More PMs / More album space / Advanced printing & mass image saving

Old 12th October 2011, 03:29 AM   #1
G is offline G  United States
diyAudio Member

Default To connect or not to connect..........

Hi all. I'm getting ready to start wiring up a parafeed preamp with transformers on the output and my question is simple. Do I connect the negative output of the output transformers to the negative rail or do I take it straight to the negative of the output RCA jack and leave it isolated? I have seen schematics with it both ways.

G
Old 12th October 2011, 04:18 AM   #2
tomchr is offline tomchr  United States
diyAudio Member

I'm not a fan of floating windings as you never know what voltage they end up settling at. The differential voltage is controlled by the flux in the transformer, but the common-mode voltage is not. With parafeed it would take the failure of two components (coupling cap, transformer isolation) to get B+ on the output jacks so I guess you could argue it's "safe". I'd still recommend grounding the secondary for safety.

~Tom
Old 13th October 2011, 12:04 AM   #3
G is offline G  United States
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by tomchr View Post
I'm not a fan of floating windings as you never know what voltage they end up settling at. The differential voltage is controlled by the flux in the transformer, but the common-mode voltage is not. With parafeed it would take the failure of two components (coupling cap, transformer isolation) to get B+ on the output jacks so I guess you could argue it's "safe". I'd still recommend grounding the secondary for safety.

~Tom
Thank you for your reply. I will do just that.

G
Old 13th October 2011, 02:49 AM   #4
diyAudio Member

On the other hand, it's going to feed a grounded unbalanced input on a power amp, right? Keep it isolated and avoid ground loops. You can use a resistor from shell to ground - 100 Ohms or so. Actual ground will be at power amp input.
Old 13th October 2011, 09:55 AM   #5
diyAudio Member

Hi!

There are advantages to both methods. grounding it at the peramp side can potentially cause a ground loop if preamp and power amp both have their grounds connected to safety earth.

On the other hand the secondary winding can develop a statuic charge when the peramp is unconnected. This will cause a loud plo if you connect the preamp to a power amp which is on.

A good compromise might be to connect the secondary through a resistor, say 47k to the ground in the preamp.

Best regards

Thomas

Hide this!Advertise here!