• WARNING: Tube/Valve amplifiers use potentially LETHAL HIGH VOLTAGES.
    Building, troubleshooting and testing of these amplifiers should only be
    performed by someone who is thoroughly familiar with
    the safety precautions around high voltages.

Phonostage with tube moving coil

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
Hi

I want to resurrect my old Curcio Daniel preamplifier to use it as a phonostage. As I use a low MC cartridge, I thought using all the preamp including full gain incorporated linestage to feed another preamp to get the required gain. I loaded the MM input at 100 ohms and tried it. It didn't work because I have motorboating problems. I tried smaller signal caps and had the same results.

Can I take the linestage and convert it as a MC pre preamplifier before the RIAA stage ? Will I end with the same problems ?

As the Curcio preamp has buffers to decouple each stage, I'm surprised to have motorboating problems.

Can I do something with this preamp ?

Thanks

Attachments

• Curcio.jpeg
    Curcio.jpeg
    51.1 KB · Views: 390
Even if you solve the stability issues, the result will be unsatisfactory. At the μV. level associated with LOMC carts., S/N ratio is item 1 through item 99. It's nearly impossible to get an acceptable S/N ratio out of tubes at the LOMC signal level.

Can I do something with this preamp ?

Yes, you can. Buy or build a step up transformer setup and use it with all your signal sources.

Administrator
Joined 2004
Paid Member
You may need to replace power supply caps in the Daniel at this point in time as it's quite long in the tooth. With all of those individual regulators you should not have any stability issues like motor boating if everything is working as it should.

Use a SUT, and as Eli suggested use it for all of your sources. It's quite a good pre-amplifier.

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.