• WARNING: Tube/Valve amplifiers use potentially LETHAL HIGH VOLTAGES.
    Building, troubleshooting and testing of these amplifiers should only be
    performed by someone who is thoroughly familiar with
    the safety precautions around high voltages.

Stand alone gain stage pre-amp

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
Cool

I made the correction on the grounding... Appreciate that fix! Yup, I should have seen that one. Embarassing.

The 10K... I have that added as R1L

OPAMP_PRE_V3.jpg

Sorry, I guess this is getting away from the Tubes theme... I run a tube amp and spend time on this forum.. This opamp design lets me get something that fits the bill for like 10 bucks I think.

This is more temporary till I can get some $$ for a real tube build preamp..

If Frank Berry or someone can answer my last couple questions I'd really appreciate the time doing so.

Sorry if this is getting to be too long in the wrong forum

Having used a good quality passive preamplifier for a long time, then gone over to building my own powered preamps, I would personally not go back to the passive solution except maybe temporarily in a dire emergency. Since you are already thinking about a longer-term solution, I would strongly suggest that you aim for rebuilding your passive pre into a good quality active one. You will not only enjoy what it brings to your music, but you will also end up with less clutter of separate boxes and interconnects. I have used 5687, 6n6p and 6cg7 for this purpose. The best results I got from indirectly heated valves was from 6cg7's run in parrallel. (ie 1 tube per channel with both halves connected together. This was quite capable of running a pair of solid-state amplifiers per channel. With tube power-amps, which don't suffer from such low input impedence, you could probably get just as good results without parallelling. You will have plenty of gain soyou could easily equalise your input signals by putting a resistor divider on 1 input.

If you are a bit nervous about building tube amplifiers, you can get a pretty respectable result from using a single 2sk170 (or other) j-fet per channel run in class A - but tubes definitely rule. Ultimately, you might want to end up with a DHT preamp, but that is another story...

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.