• WARNING: Tube/Valve amplifiers use potentially LETHAL HIGH VOLTAGES.
    Building, troubleshooting and testing of these amplifiers should only be
    performed by someone who is thoroughly familiar with
    the safety precautions around high voltages.

RCA-182 Tube Amp

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
Hello forum members, rookie here needs help please.

I have inherited this little amp, and need some help. I have attached the schematic for this amp for your assistance.

1: No pre-amp is needed, correct?

2: I assume I connect my line in from ipod, mp3 etc. (or pre-amp) to the Phono Cart input socket, left and right to either 2 and 4 pins, grounds to 1 and 3 pins?

3. speaker hook up? Yellow, Green, Black wires from Transformer.
I can use either 6 Ohm or 8 Ohm bookshelf speakers.
Wire diagram please......
thanks in advance for your assistance.

Stu

Attachments

• 20111005152608780.pdf
    78.6 KB · Views: 114
1. Yes, for line-level inputs no preamp is needed.

2. Yes.

3. Not sure. It looks like Yellow and Black are the intended stereo outputs, but these could be for 3 ohm speakers. If so, Green and Black might suit 6 or 8 ohms better. Maybe someone else can help.

Note that this amp was intended for a ceramic pickup cartridge. It makes use of the fact that these looked electrically like a capacitor, so it has inter-channel mixing (to reduce vertical rumble) and resistive loading to effect a bass control. Personally, I would remove the tone controls but you can't simply cut them out as the bass control provides grid bias for the first stage.

This won't be hi-fi, but it might make a pleasant noise.

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.