• WARNING: Tube/Valve amplifiers use potentially LETHAL HIGH VOLTAGES.
    Building, troubleshooting and testing of these amplifiers should only be
    performed by someone who is thoroughly familiar with
    the safety precautions around high voltages.

Quicksilver 8417

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
Hello , I own a pair of Quicksilver 8417, monoblocs, and have done a few of the mods from triodeel . I have changed the coupling caps to solen fast caps. I wish to also use solen for the .22uf caps. The question I have is wether there is a better replacement or recomendation on replacement of the mallory 320uf 450v power caps. Should the values be exactly the same. Very new to this , i have friend who is a tech and he is doing the replacement. Also there are 23.7k resistors in the circuit , they show some distress I would like to replace them with a higher wattage say 3 watts, can i use 24k as finding 23.7k above .5 watts has proved impossible.
Thanks

diyAudio Senior Member
Joined 2002
Hi,

I have changed the coupling caps to solen fast caps. I wish to also use solen for the .22uf caps.

There are better filmcaps than the Solen, you may want to try the excelent MIT-Relcap film & foil polystyrenes or the Auricaps...there are other fine caps out there as well, the Solens aren't really my fav caps.

As for the rest of your qq, I'll need to dig up the circuit diagrams to advise you further.

Cheers,;)

diyAudio Senior Member
Joined 2002
Hi,

Should the values be exactly the same.

The voltage rating should be the same, you can try to up the capacitance for all caps that are behind the filter choke by 10 to 20%.

I'd stick to the same technology Mallorys which are good caps.

The 23.7Ks you talk about are probably the plate resistors for the 12AU7A/12BH7A cathodyne phase splitter.

If you like you could use some high voltage (400V+) 2W resistors in // for this; 47K5/2 gives you the correct value...
I hope your circuit has the 12BH7As here which are much better than the 12AU7As.

Cheers, ;)

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.