• WARNING: Tube/Valve amplifiers use potentially LETHAL HIGH VOLTAGES.
    Building, troubleshooting and testing of these amplifiers should only be
    performed by someone who is thoroughly familiar with
    the safety precautions around high voltages.

how much C is too much C?

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
Administrator
Joined 2004
Paid Member
I've been wondering about this for years - "How much is enough?"

Does it come down to Joules per Watt? I.E., energy stored in the caps vs the rated output of amp. How many Watt/Seconds are needed per output Watt? Do different ratios sound different? Obviously tube amps may get away with smaller cap values simply because the voltages are higher and thus more energy is stored. What do you think?

if you really want to get into the math of it, its in 3 dimensional terms, not a strait linear formula.

output power impedence vs current demand over operational voltage.

Recovery time of watt per joules in seconds under full load.

and

recovery time of watt per joules per watt at idle (no signal)

Administrator
Joined 2004
Paid Member
now, when you go too far with capacitance, the circuit will behave more as if you had a battery B+ supply.
That's what I was thinking, tho it might be lower impedance than the battery supply, at least at some frequencies.

I'm still interested in "how much is enough?" and what would need to be taken into account; Full power, output impedance, idle current, etc.

That's what I was thinking, tho it might be lower impedance than the battery supply, at least at some frequencies.

I'm still interested in "how much is enough?" and what would need to be taken into account; Full power, output impedance, idle current, etc.

How much is enough and how much is to much are different questions and you need to answer each one.

Enough: The ripple voltage on B+ is reduced such that it is no longer a noise source. I think you can specify a desired noise floor. How low should the power supply impedance be? Just so that it is "low" compared to the output transformer. I mead, if the B+ is connoted in series to the center tap of a transformer with 100R of DC resistance.

To Much: At some point serge current at turn on becomes an issue also the total energy to charge the cap and what does it have to go through. Parts like a rectifier tube or choke or power resister may cause you to limit the capacitance unless you design in some kind of current limiter.

Administrator
Joined 2004
Paid Member
True enough, for C connected directly to the rectifier. But what about C after a choke or resistor? It could be pretty large and not have a drastic turn on pulse.

For example: A SET monoblock with a B+ of 425V and a 10uF cap after the choke would have about 900 Joules on tap for the output tube. Good, bad, or not important? How much C would you need for a solid state amp running at +/-50V to have the same energy on tap?

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.