• WARNING: Tube/Valve amplifiers use potentially LETHAL HIGH VOLTAGES.
    Building, troubleshooting and testing of these amplifiers should only be
    performed by someone who is thoroughly familiar with
    the safety precautions around high voltages.

What is the proper way to measure transformer inductance?

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
Hey Guys,

I'm working on some SPICE models for a tube amp design. I've had a lot of luck in finding specs and models for tubes. But, finding similar information for transformers is proving to be more difficult to find.

I've got some test subjects (UTC LS-55) and, I think I have all of the necessary test equipment:

• KH 5920 function generator (nano to megahertz)
  • Instek digital o-scope (>20hz to gigahertz)
  • HP 4276A LCZ (100hz to 20kHz)
How would you go about measuring inductance? In particular, I'm getting a variety of readings from the primary, depending upon how I load the secondary (open, closed, resistor). What are some expected readings for either a 5k or 3k coil?

Thanks!

-Brian

Build a series resonance circuit with the transformer, a known capacitor and a adjustable resistor (10k to 100k). Feed the AC-voltage across this circuit.

If you have a guess about the inductance of the (primary) transformer, select the value of the capacitor so that the resonance frequency is relatively low (100 Hz to 500 Hz). Then observe the voltage across the transformer and the capacitor with your scope and by adjusting the frequency of your generator you can find the notch frequency.
Then you simply calculate the inductance.

You can get the notch more sharp if the series resistance is higher.

Joined 2004
Paid Member
Fast method.

Attachments

• IndMesurements.jpg
    IndMesurements.jpg
    40.1 KB · Views: 2,014
What's the reason for wanting to measure o/p tranny inductance it ? On E&I types, inductance is never specified as the miniscule airgap between the laminations when screwed up can wildly alter the figures. A toroid with continuous strip is far more predictable.

richy

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.