i think i'm thru with 2A3 tubes - diyAudio
Go Back   Home > Forums > Amplifiers > Tubes / Valves

Tubes / Valves All about our sweet vacuum tubes :) Threads about Musical Instrument Amps of all kinds should be in the Instruments & Amps forum

Please consider donating to help us continue to serve you.

Ads on/off / Custom Title / More PMs / More album space / Advanced printing & mass image saving

Old 29th September 2011, 03:41 AM   #1
mp9 is offline mp9  United States
diyAudio Member

Default i think i'm thru with 2A3 tubes

just swapped out the 2A3's from my Fi2A3 amp for Sophia 45's.
They shouldn't even sound this good with the not so efficient speakers i'm using, or for that matter in the Fi which isn't ideally built for 45's but they do????

Maybe this is the natural progression? I began with 300b's, didn't care for the heat in summer so tried the 2A3 for a few years and now... seems there's no going back. Hello my name is and i'm a triodeoholic...

So what you guys suggest i do next, use the amp the way it is or swap out the DS-025 opt's for DS-050's and change a cap as Don G did for a customer on request? 6moons audio reviews: Fi 45 Stereo "Prototype"
Old 29th September 2011, 03:46 AM   #2
kevinkr is offline kevinkr  United States
diyAudio Moderator

I'd swap in the right transformer for the 45 first off, and make sure that the tubes are operating within their dissipation ratings.

I've always preferred the 45 to the 2A3 - not really sure why exactly. I run 300B year round despite the heat because of my power requirements. (My amps have vacuum tube based regulators and make a lot of extra heat.)
Old 29th September 2011, 03:50 AM   #3
Pano is offline Pano  United States
diyAudio Moderator

A friend of mine just went from 45s to 2A3 and loves them. So you never know. I thought those 45s sounded mighty good. Maybe you need to dig up some PX4s.
Old 29th September 2011, 05:48 AM   #4
mp9 is offline mp9  United States
diyAudio Member

The Sophia 45's are sounding more like live music then the RCA 2A3, JJ 2A3-40 and Shuguang Treasure 2A3-Z tubes i have. It's like there's more layering plus the mids are richer. More like the 300B mids only without stopping there.
I guess i'll have to talk with Don G about the iron and cap changes vs as is. His Fi2A3 amps are supposed to be switchable for either tube by changing the operating point via choice of rectifier tube. Prob will end up saving for new iron.
In the meantime i want to finish Wooden Design Victor/166es-r speakers i started. What amazes me is that i hooked up a old pair of ~89db EPI 100 speakers i use/the HDTV for the sake of making sure the new tubes would be good in actual use vs testing only to find the 1.5watt output sounds great with them. Didn't care for the EPI's with the 2A3's at all.
Old 29th September 2011, 05:56 AM   #5
diyAudio Member

Hi!

I prefer the 45 over the 2A3 too. Most of my amps are switchable between 45 and 2A3. Most use the Tango XE20S OPT which is configurable for 2.5, 3.5 and 5k primary impedance.

I'd also recommend yxou swap the OPT against a 5k unit.

Best regards

Thomas
Old 29th September 2011, 06:16 AM   #6
diyAudio Member

Anyone in the NYC area that will allow an audition of an amp using 45, 2A3, or 300b tubes? I don't currently have the funds to build an amp using these tubes and would like to hear an amp using them. Of course it is purely subjective unless I can bring my own loudspeakers for a valid evaluation.

Scott

Last edited by scott17; 29th September 2011 at 06:19 AM.
Old 29th September 2011, 11:29 AM   #7
kmaier is offline kmaier  United States
diyAudio Member

In my less than humble view, the 45 will always win when compared against the typical dual-plate 2A3 triode... as it's really two triodes in parallel which never quite sound the same as a single triode.

I'm not a fan of the RCA dual-plate 2A3 at all... if you want the better dual-plate 2A3, get Sylvania. Same with the 45, i.e., Sylvania over RCA. I can't comment on the Sophia 45 as all of mine are NOS of various brands. I do have a pair of Emission Labs 45s... these are huge bottles and in my view are NOT a 45... but something made to be close to a 45 spec for plate curves and filament requirements. I find them to not sound like a real 45 and to be very sensitive to mechanical excitation... even a hand-clap near them sets them off. You also need to run them ~40ma before they sound their best.

Regards, KM
Old 29th September 2011, 11:34 AM   #8
SY is offline SY  United States
diyAudio Moderator

I guess this wouldn't be the place to state a preference for 6L6GC.
Old 29th September 2011, 11:42 AM   #9
Salas is offline Salas  Greece
diyAudio Chief Moderator

Since when you prefer a tetrode deprived of its kinks?
Old 29th September 2011, 11:59 AM   #10
SY is offline SY  United States
diyAudio Moderator

AB2 triode, baby!

Hide this!Advertise here!