Photo Discussion - Page 6 - diyAudio
Go Back   Home > Forums > Amplifiers > Tubes / Valves

Tubes / Valves All about our sweet vacuum tubes :) Threads about Musical Instrument Amps of all kinds should be in the Instruments & Amps forum

Please consider donating to help us continue to serve you.

Ads on/off / Custom Title / More PMs / More album space / Advanced printing & mass image saving

Old 3rd March 2005, 06:35 PM   #51
JoshK is offline JoshK  Canada
diyAudio Member

Hardi (or anyone else who knows),

In the Photo Gallery, Post #449, you can see a beautifully made tube amp. I am wondering where I can source feet like those?

I find chassis feet of new quality to be among the most ellusive of parts. Would greatly appreciate info from anyone in the know.
Old 5th March 2006, 11:32 PM   #52
diyAudio Member

I found a 5' piece of 2.25" bar stock in the scrap yard I used for knobs and feet. Cut it on a chop saw with alum cutting blade
Old 22nd November 2006, 02:10 PM   #53
diyAudio Member

http://www.crcpress.com/shopping_car...parent_id=&pc=

Check this out, "Power Vacuum Tubes Handbook". This will mean tubes bigger than KT88 or 6L6. Its intended for radio transmitters, but still relevant for extreme audio.

****** cross posted on Audio Explorations
http://groups-beta.google.com/group/...nds/post?hl=en
Old 20th December 2006, 02:41 PM   #54
diyAudio Member

To Johan Pot# About 15 yrs ago when I designed this amp I stylishly holed the top plate do this to stop it overheating. With wide envelope tubes like Kt88' and coke bottles this is necessary.

pic inc

richj
Attached Images
File Type: jpg pwr tube amp persp best 89k.jpg (89.5 KB, 2973 views)
Old 1st May 2007, 08:25 AM   #55
diyAudio Member

Default Harman Kardon Trio A224

I have recently bought A224 amp, but it came with all the tubes removed. If someone could tell me as to how the tubes need to be placed, that'll be great
Old 1st May 2007, 08:47 AM   #56
diyAudio Member

Default 801/211 SET Design

This project has been started by me over a year ago.
Initially there were problems with transformers
No I am using discreet transformers for all the stages
The moot point is whether 801 can drive 211 in SET Mode
Where could I get the o/p transformer for the same
If someone could be give me the design, its possible for me to build one in Mumbai itself
Old 23rd June 2007, 10:56 PM   #57
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally posted by richwalters
To Johan Pot# About 15 yrs ago when I designed this amp I stylishly holed the top plate do this to stop it overheating. With wide envelope tubes like Kt88' and coke bottles this is necessary.
I found this now again; if I did not thank you then, I do so now. I have just posted views of my 100W stereo on Picture Gallery, though I imagine I did so somewhere before. Those are the original photos; I have since had to drill holes in form of a cross between the 6L6s (even though not wide envelopes), plus a little blower underneath. A multimeter with a temp. probe on a long lead broadened my horizons as to what temperatures existed where - rather an essential accessory.

I have since redesigned on a larger (area) chassis - strange what difference a little air flow can do. Temperature top of chassis (air) between 6L6s went from 68 to 35 degrees. Sort of funnel effect, also ventilates below chassis (chassis about 10mm off baseplate).
Old 3rd September 2007, 03:48 AM   #58
PB2 is offline PB2  United States
diyAudio Member

My father was planning to build an 807 based Williamson amp back in the early 1950s. He bought the tubes, which we still had many years later when I was a young boy. He bought the Heathkit 5881 based Williamson instead of rounding up all the other parts, and just held onto the 807s. I came across the amp pictured in the link below when I was in college, less tubes and picked it up. I think it is an earlier Heathkit 807 based Williamson, but I'm not positive. It has a Peerless output transformer, and I don't have the matching power supply, but I do have several power supplies that will work. The Heathkit my father built has an Acrosound output transformer.

http://baselaudiolabs.googlepages.com/Williamson3.JPG

I'm considering rebuilding this amp for use as a guitar amp for my son. Really, it would just be a basic rebuild, but I'm wondering if it has any historical value. It is triode mode only, as the transformer does not have UL taps.

Anyone have a match for it, might make a nice conversation piece set up in a small stereo system.

Pete B.
Old 3rd September 2007, 05:40 AM   #59
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally posted by PB2
My father was planning to build an 807 based Williamson amp back in the early 1950s.

This reminds me of the huge amount of surplus www2 gear around during that period. At the time there wasn't an inch of sparetime boredom and a glance at the 1955 wireless world ad columns leaves one in no doubt. Names as Stern Clyne, RSC and hosts of other improvised amps were around. The non isolated AC/DC chassis radio's were quite the norm.

Nearly all the quitar amps around were pentode config and commonly worked into 15 ohm loads. A triode guitar amp would sound quite soft but play pleasant. I would be tempted to try with the NFB loop disconnected or very little global feedback but power o/p will be limited.
The missing tubes are probably 6SN7.

richj
Old 4th September 2007, 02:04 PM   #60
PB2 is offline PB2  United States
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally posted by richwalters

This reminds me of the huge amount of surplus www2 gear around during that period. At the time there wasn't an inch of sparetime boredom and a glance at the 1955 wireless world ad columns leaves one in no doubt. Names as Stern Clyne, RSC and hosts of other improvised amps were around. The non isolated AC/DC chassis radio's were quite the norm.

Nearly all the quitar amps around were pentode config and commonly worked into 15 ohm loads. A triode guitar amp would sound quite soft but play pleasant. I would be tempted to try with the NFB loop disconnected or very little global feedback but power o/p will be limited.
The missing tubes are probably 6SN7.

richj
Yes, he bought a lot of WW2 surplus parts for various projects. He built a copy of a Dumont Oscilloscope from scratch, and a large strobe light having gotten a schematic from Dr. Edgerton (Doc) at MIT who is famous for his early work in strobe photography:
http://web.mit.edu/invent/iow/edgerton.html

He built the 5 tube classic radio in Navy radar school where he was trained in electronics.

Anyway, yes those would be 6SN7s for the drivers, and a power socket for the preamp. I could wire it for pentode mode as a guitar amp, and we would probably try it with and with out global feedback.

Pete B.

Hide this!Advertise here!