• WARNING: Tube/Valve amplifiers use potentially LETHAL HIGH VOLTAGES.
    Building, troubleshooting and testing of these amplifiers should only be
    performed by someone who is thoroughly familiar with
    the safety precautions around high voltages.

6DJ8 Tubes

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
Inside my X-Can v2 Headphone Amp there are two 6DJ8 Tubes. I noticed that there is no "Brand" name on them at all. Is there any possible way of knowing what brand name they are?

I've also found out that the 6DJ8's can be replaced with 6922's.

Would 6922's be a better replacement or should I stick with 6DJ8's?

Lastly; Any replacement suggestions would be appreciated. Thanks.

Tom

Re: 6DJ8...

DSummer said:
You can use 6922, 7308, 6ES8, ECC88, E88CC, E188CC, ECC189, CCa, CV2492, CV2493...
If you need any specific type of 6DJ8, you can email me, may be I can help. I have quite a lot of NOS on hand.

Thanks. I actually am not having problems with the amp at this time, nor do I feel I need to replace them right now.

But; I just want to know and be ready when replacement time does come around.

From the Tube numbers that you show; would any of them be more suitable or of better quality than the 6DJ8's? Or does it not matter that much? Thanks.

diyAudio Senior Member
Joined 2002
Hi,

If you're really, really lucky, you might stumble across some NOS 6KN8 or CCa.

While I know the Cca to be one of the best sounding of the entire 6DJ8 family, I never had the occasion to investigate the 6KN8.

Since you mention it here, I assume it's a particularly good sounding tube or has it technical features I'm unaware of?

You can use 6922, 7308, 6ES8, ECC88, E88CC, E188CC, ECC189, CCa, CV2492, CV2493...

ECCC189/6ES8 are vari-µ tubes, not really suitable...same goes for the ECC89.

If it were for preamp use use I'd pick the Cca for sound or the E188CC/7308 for lowest noise.

The NOS Philips and daughter company tubes are good sounding ones; these include:

Adzam (Phi Belgium)

Mazda (Phi, France)

Valvo (Phi, Germany)

Mullard (Phi, Uk)

And a bunch of others.

I also like the NOS TESLA E88CC alot which were based on the TFK data and build using the old TFK tooling.

I don't particularly like the Sovtek 6922s which are rather metallic sounding.
The plain NOS Russian ECC88 are alot better.

Any Chinese built ECC88 sounds totally odd to me as does most of their range.

Cheers,;)

diyAudio Senior Member
Joined 2002
Hi,

Just remember, if you find any, I get my cut!

Cross my heart.

Silly thing is I used to have some stock of those, maybe half a dozen or so...

At that time they were just meaningless HF tubes so I just sold them for a few bucks...guess I should have as they seem to catch 25$/EA nowadays.

That's life...

Thanks for the tip anyway, SY.

If I used this Amp 3-4 hours a day and it was "Off" 19-20 hours a day; are we talking a few years lifespan, more/less possibly?

Don't worry that tube will last for ages if you use it conservatively.
If you push it close to its limits just replace every two years as Steve suggests.

Having a good tubetester will tell you more about its condition.

Cheers,;)

Substitution

Yep, 6ES8 is not exactly equivalent to 6DJ8. But I did try a pair of old germany made RCA 6ES8 in a phono headamp ~ 10 years ago, it sounds pretty good, much better than a lot of name brand 6DJ8.
Same as Mullard ECC32, it's not equivalent to 6SN7, but all we know ECC32 is one of the hottest 6SN7 substitution in the market nowadays... HiFi is something to use our ears, not our eyes. Technical data and theories are fundamental supports, but experiments are still needed! That's why I never 100% trusted those reviews from stereophile or absolute sound...

Re: Substitution

DSummer said:
Yep, 6ES8 is not exactly equivalent to 6DJ8. But I did try a pair of old germany made RCA 6ES8 in a phono headamp ~ 10 years ago, it sounds pretty good, much better than a lot of name brand 6DJ8.
Same as Mullard ECC32, it's not equivalent to 6SN7, but all we know ECC32 is one of the hottest 6SN7 substitution in the market nowadays... HiFi is something to use our ears, not our eyes. Technical data and theories are fundamental supports, but experiments are still needed! That's why I never 100% trusted those reviews from stereophile or absolute sound...

I definitely agree about using your "ears". Better to trust your own instincts and ears.

Thanks to everyone for the advice and information about these Tubes. My X-Can v2 does not have many hours on it yet, but I'm starting to use it almost every day now.

But; I think I'll get back to enjoying my Music and not worry too much when I'll have to replace those Tubes.

SY said:
Avoid the 6ES8; the remote-cutoff characteristic renders it HIGHLY nonlinear.

Frank: The 6KN8 has a higher mu (45), really low noise, low microphonics, and better linearity in the circuits in which I've used it. Just remember, if you find any, I get my cut!

Special, are they? I have one of those slim boxes, full of them (5 nos select RCA) and about 10 loose ones. All from a guy who used to do balance and scale work. Ie, calibration grade select units.

Are they drop ins for 6922 and 6DJ8's? I also have about 20 or so E188CC Telefunken Gold pin Diamond bottoms, and Amperex Bugle Boys lying about. Came from the same guy.

Yah learn sumpthin' new evry day, if you's lucky. Today's.... I'm lucky.

When I had the X10D I tried substituting some old Mullards. I didn't like the sound as much.
My advise is that the X-series used such low voltage that the valves used were probably selected to give just the right response. Substituting any old tube (even very expensive ones) just might not work.
I would be tempted to contact Musical Fidelity and purchase a direct replacement, they say they have plenty.

I had mine on practically all day for about 7years and only towards the end was I getting reduced emissions from one side. Your 2-3hours should see them outlive you. I still use the same pulled valves as initial testers for new circuits. I found them to have a very neutral sound, if a fraction bass light.

Shoog

But I did try a pair of old germany made RCA 6ES8 in a phono headamp ~ 10 years ago, it sounds pretty good, much better than a lot of name brand 6DJ8

A variable-mu tube like the 6ES8 can be used successfully in very low level applications like head amps because distortion will be low due to the tiny voltage swings in any case. This does not mean that the same tube will work as well (compared to a true 6DJ8/6922) at higher voltage swing levels, such as in a line stage or a power amp gain stage. BTW, using a variable-mu tube in a diff amp will partially cancel the large second and fourth harmonic distortion products, but third and fifth harmonics may then be a problem.

Would that also be assuming an ideal current source in the tail?

Ideally yes. But a simple large-value tail resistor will afford some degree of even harmonic cancellation as well. That's why I used the term *partially* cancelled - to account for a non-ideal diff amp and differences in the two triode halves.

How much clean swing can we expect a 6ES8 to give single ended?

Of course that depends on what you define as "clean". The dominant second harmonic will be roughly proportional to voltage swing up to a point. It also greatly depends on the load line chosen.

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.