Cheap ($235) SE Tube amp kit, transformer and chassis on ebay - Page 2 - diyAudio
Go Back   Home > Forums > Amplifiers > Tubes / Valves

Tubes / Valves All about our sweet vacuum tubes :) Threads about Musical Instrument Amps of all kinds should be in the Instruments & Amps forum

Please consider donating to help us continue to serve you.

Ads on/off / Custom Title / More PMs / More album space / Advanced printing & mass image saving

Old 19th September 2011, 02:41 PM   #11
diyAudio Member

Default Cheers for the input everyone

...I reckon I'll give that a miss then. I was mainly attracted to the full kit, as my failing is often in completing the chassis, hence a complete kit was pretty appealing. Given the constraints of getting decent performance out of it I reckon I'll be better off spending elsewhere. Shame though!

Cheers for the input everyone.
Old 19th September 2011, 05:16 PM   #12
diyAudio Member

No, on the contrary!! For this low price, you get a decent chassis too! Go for it and IF you do not like it, you can start modifying it.
Old 19th September 2011, 05:57 PM   #13
data is offline data  Australia
Account disabled at member's request

Triode strapped along with better parts (Caps & Resistors) and it might be OK with sensitive speakers. Also you will get pointers from some of the guys here where improvements in circuit and layout are concerned
Old 19th September 2011, 07:03 PM   #14
tomchr is offline tomchr  United States
diyAudio Member

My main concern with these kits is the quality of the output and power transformers. Those are the more expensive components, hence, the most obvious place to cut corners in order to offer a "cost effective" (read: cheap) product.

The Edcor OPTs are pretty decent. Not top of the line, but real good bang for the buck.

There are chassis options that don't require too much machining. They're not at scrap metal prices, but for the machining required, they're actually not bad... Check out Audio Catalog for example.

~Tom
Old 19th September 2011, 07:04 PM   #15
frugal-phile(tm)
diyAudio Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alain Poitras View Post
If you buy the transformers from Edcor, you will paid about 170$
For an amp like this it would, IMO, be a mistake to go to the higher power OPTs, the appropriate ones are ~$70/pr.

dave
Old 19th September 2011, 09:39 PM   #16
tomchr is offline tomchr  United States
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by planet10 View Post
For an amp like this it would, IMO, be a mistake to go to the higher power OPTs, the appropriate ones are ~$70/pr.
Curious: What makes you say that?

~Tom
Old 19th September 2011, 09:43 PM   #17
cjkpkg is offline cjkpkg  United States
diyAudio Member

I went "partial" kit for my first amp...the Tubelab SimpleSE. Started with the PCB and bill of materials and LOTS of support here.

I started on the cheap with inexpensive iron, non-exotic resistors and caps and probably had only like $250-$275USD into it.

Since then I have upgraded certain components - better iron, better coupling caps, and decent tubes.

There are some great P2P amps that would be a great starting place like Mikael Abdella's KT88(spelling?) A super simple SE amp that would be a breeze to P2P up and has good reviews here and other DIY forums.

I highly recommend edcor iron. Lead time is a pain but well worth it for the price. For this type of SE amp I would really recommend the GXSE's and a PT that could handle at least 150-175mA.
Old 20th September 2011, 12:53 AM   #18
diyAudio Member

Bought one, discussed the options here, some very good suggestions, not finished mine yet but hoping to soon.....

EL34B 6N9P 5Z3P amplifier kit - any thoughts on schematic?
Old 20th September 2011, 01:15 AM   #19
ChrisA is offline ChrisA  United States
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by aspringv View Post
That was quite quick! FYI I'm not associated with the seller in any way, I'm just looking to get informed feedback before I consider a purchace.
It is a good deal or not depending on the quality of the parts. If they are generic Chinese parts then the price is to high. If the parts are Hammond, JJ, Belton and so on then it's a good deal.

A assume no one builds a tube stereo amp because they want to save money. It's because we want an amp that we can't buy. If that is the case why use cheap parts? The most important part of an amp like this is the output transformer. What one are they using? Do you like the way it sounds? If you don't know the answers then why get this one?
Old 20th September 2011, 01:35 AM   #20
diyAudio Member

OR you could try the complete SE KT88 kit listed in my signature. Yes it's pricey but it is quality. Premium quality custom transformers made in US. Check it out.

Last edited by scott17; 20th September 2011 at 01:40 AM.

Hide this!Advertise here!