• WARNING: Tube/Valve amplifiers use potentially LETHAL HIGH VOLTAGES.
    Building, troubleshooting and testing of these amplifiers should only be
    performed by someone who is thoroughly familiar with
    the safety precautions around high voltages.

12AU7 in cascode configuration

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
Just about any cascode will have an output Z roughly equal to the plate load resistor. The max peak current out will roughly equal the idle current, but the distortion with that kind of load will be unacceptably high. In a low distortion circuit (for a 12AU7, not a linearity champion!), the max current swing should be held to about one tenth of the idle current.

Sorry guys I'm not making one, a tube guru just said to me yesterday this would be around 33k output impedance and maximum of 10mA current output. Just trying to find out. It says it's 12AU7 in cascode configuration, directly connected to the output rca's (probably via coupling cap) and that it has switchable gain of 6db or 12db.
Concert Fidelity | CF-080 LSX
He uses it into a power amp that is 20k input impedance, this then would be a bad impedance match.
Cheers George

Last edited:
As the machine is called hybrid I can guarantee it has a sand buffer with very low Zout, not 33k. So it is probably no problem for your friend.

About the circuit low gain also indicates local feedback, maybe through the upper grid and an unbypassed cathode resistor. Still one wonder why 12AU7 was choosen and what a cascode is needed for when total gain is 6/12dB?

Last edited:
Hey SY,

:D:D, actually the sheet didn´t say anything at all. Found the awkward info in a review.

This is my idea how a cascode, if it for some reason must be, should be used:

Attachments

• casc82.png
    casc82.png
    81.3 KB · Views: 248
If you want 6 or 12dB gain, you don't use a cascode.

If you want lowish output impedance, you don't use a cascode. (NB. in a preamp you will want low output impedance, unless you are incompetent).

If you are serious about valves, you don't hang them out horizontally at the back of the chassis, even with fancy roll-bars. This is asking for poor contact as the valve slowly drops out of the socket, and the risk of 'beverage contamination'.

If you want 6 or 12dB gain, you don't use a cascode.

If you want lowish output impedance, you don't use a cascode. (NB. in a preamp you will want low output impedance, unless you are incompetent).

If you are serious about valves, you don't hang them out horizontally at the back of the chassis, even with fancy roll-bars. This is asking for poor contact as the valve slowly drops out of the socket, and the risk of 'beverage contamination'.

I have a borrowed CF-080LSX preamp in my system. Yes the valves hang horizontally at the back but they use an extremely good socket that has a GRIP on the valve that I have not experienced in any other valve amp before. It is not easy to even 'intentionally' put a valve in a take one out without a bit of brute strength.

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.