• WARNING: Tube/Valve amplifiers use potentially LETHAL HIGH VOLTAGES.
    Building, troubleshooting and testing of these amplifiers should only be
    performed by someone who is thoroughly familiar with
    the safety precautions around high voltages.

Phillips Music Sudio

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
I have this old record player for a while and serve me well. The out put valve use two 6GW8.Now its can not play loud, only 9 o'clock volume,any thing more than this will make very loud hum sound and the same if I touch Bass or treble nob .
Any member have this unit and similar problem ? I check all vales and they are all OK,but I don't know how to check cap or power supply,not even know where it is or what its look like.

Attachments

• Phillip03.jpg
    Phillip03.jpg
    449.8 KB · Views: 104
  • Phillip04.jpg
    Phillip04.jpg
    427.1 KB · Views: 99
the decoupling capacitors have a reputation for being indestructible . they have that mustard tint and values printed on the body .

decoupling capacitors , filter capacitor (big silver can ) cathode resistors the big carbon types . if there OFF value try replacing them for some wirewound types .

hint the supply cap is near the rectifier tube the tube will probably be ez80 cap 47 UF philips capacitors have the ground on the housing and hot positive pole inside in a rubber bead

the stuff i just pointed out is a nice fix . and it solves old radio problems for most of the times . mostly decoupling capacitors are rotten . or either the filter capacitor straining the rectifier , then you have your cathode resistors who tend to be out off spec . driving the tube hard

next would be the tubes but you said you checked them .

also the radio should have a mains voltage selector make sure its not out off spec EG under your current voltage its better to have a 5% lower voltage than higher .

the decoupling capacitors have a reputation for being indestructible . they have that mustard tint and values printed on the body .

decoupling capacitors , filter capacitor (big silver can ) cathode resistors the big carbon types . if there OFF value try replacing them for some wirewound types .

hint the supply cap is near the rectifier tube the tube will probably be ez80 cap 47 UF philips capacitors have the ground on the housing and hot positive pole inside in a rubber bead

the stuff i just pointed out is a nice fix . and it solves old radio problems for most of the times . mostly decoupling capacitors are rotten . or either the filter capacitor straining the rectifier , then you have your cathode resistors who tend to be out off spec . driving the tube hard

next would be the tubes but you said you checked them .

also the radio should have a mains voltage selector make sure its not out off spec EG under your current voltage its better to have a 5% lower voltage than higher .
Hi v4vle lover,
Thanks for help, I will try to pull those two silver can and replace its.

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.