• WARNING: Tube/Valve amplifiers use potentially LETHAL HIGH VOLTAGES.
    Building, troubleshooting and testing of these amplifiers should only be
    performed by someone who is thoroughly familiar with
    the safety precautions around high voltages.

Grounded Grid TRANSCENDENT line stage

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
Hi Friends,
I purchased second hand a Grounded Grid, transcendent stage line, and I am very happy with it.
But I want to improve the volume control and have bought second hand, a step attenuator 41 Acoustic dimension, say it is very good, cuention is that it is 100k and the volume control on my preamplifier is 50k.
You can make any modification in the preamplifier to work well with step attenuator 41 Acoustic dimension?.
Deputy schematic and parts list of the preamplifier.
Thanks in advance
Greetings to all.

Attachments

• Grounded grid.GIF
    Grounded grid.GIF
    60.6 KB · Views: 1,413
  • Grounded grid-parts list.jpg
    Grounded grid-parts list.jpg
    113.9 KB · Views: 1,314
That must be the 'grounded grid' preamp where none of the grids are grounded! Instead an LTP is unbalanced by turning half into an SRPP-like circuit with local feedback. There is a chance that these two different distortion-cancelling mechanisms will work against each other by each destroying the very balance which the other assumes.

It might sound nice, but its not a grounded grid.

Hi!

Improved sound, if you replace all the resistors, metal film, for kiwame resistance, and resistance VISHAY DALE resistance?

I'm not really a parts roller, so I'm the wrong person to ask ;)
If you want this really to improve, try a different circuit, like a 26 linestage or other DHT as discussed in the 26 preamp thread.

Or if it shall be a bit simpler with a indirectly heated triode, try the line section of my octal preamp:

VinylSavor: The Octal Preamplifier Mk2: Circuit Update

Just a single triode in the signal path per channel

Thomas

I also have this preamp; and changed it quite a bit to improve sound. You can try to put in a better heater supply, I took a module from Machmat, but maybe the circuit from Rod Coleman works as well. Big improvement..
Then of course the output caps are sensitive to changes, I took Jensen Copper foil to get a little more warmth.
And changing the three 22µF electrolytics near the tubes for film caps is another worthwhile tweak.
Best tubes i tried were Siemens E82CC triple micas from the 60ies.

But honestly, the DCB1 built from a group buy in this forum is much better in every respect, and doesn't need tweaking or expensive caps or resistors.
Thomas suggestion to try another circuit, especially the 26 preamp, is another good advice.And should be fun to build too...

cheers
Juergen

Thanks for your feedback Jogi.
But not what you mean when you say, (But honestly, the DCB1 built from a group buy in this forum is much better in Every Respect, and Does not Need tweaking caps or resistors or expensive).
Forgive my ignorance, but it's not the DCB1.
Thanks again to everyone.

Hello friends.
I have a small problem with the preamp, so I have if you can solve.
I use this preamp with a solid state amp, and to be operating without any input in the preamp, and with the volume to a minimum, be heard, sssshhhh, as if the volume to maximum.
I connect any source with a moderate level is not heard.
How I can fix this noise?.

Thank you all in advance.

Widi,

You might want to check your ground connections and solder joints, especially with ground connections on the RCA input jacks. Make sure the RCA ground connections are insulated from the chassis. Others here may have better advice.

As for the Grounded Grid, I have a friend who had a Grounded Grid with a Goldpoint stepped attenuator with Dale resistors and an Aikido with an Alps Blue Velvet volume pot. The Aikido sounded much better. Swapping the volume pot and stepped attenuator just made the difference even more noticeable. Interestingly enough, my same friend kept the Aikido and sold the Grounded Grid, and he's running the Aikido with a Transcendent Sound T-16 OTL power amp with his Quad ESL-57's, and getting excellent results.

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.