• WARNING: Tube/Valve amplifiers use potentially LETHAL HIGH VOLTAGES.
    Building, troubleshooting and testing of these amplifiers should only be
    performed by someone who is thoroughly familiar with
    the safety precautions around high voltages.

Speaker impedance and amp matching?

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
My speakers have a 7.5 Ohm minimum in the range 100-300Hz and below 100Hz it raises to a 17.5 Ohm top at 50Hz.

This is fairly flat and my Simple SE has an output impedance of aprox. 2 Ohm. This gives a amplitude difference of +1.1dB at 50Hz compared to 100-300Hz level.

But listening, this difference seems larger. I would have expected a 2-3dB difference, before measuring...

Could the resonance at 50Hz give a dynamic sound "larger" than static measurements shows?

If so, could a R-C-L correction network fix that?

Values at 12R+1000uF+10mH could be used for test...

Yes, that is what a resonance does. It, in effect, amplifies the input. A lower output impedance (=higher damping factor) would help damp the resonance a little - that is why most amps have a low output impedance. The idea is that you can use electrical damping on a mechanical resonance. SE is an exception because they usually don't have much NFB so high output impedance. SE may be best with speakers designed for them, which have mechanical damping of the bass resonance instead. Such speakers might be overdamped with a conventional amplifier.

Hello,
maybe you also can fix a little bit more damping-material into the box, this is the acoustic method. When it´s a BR System put something into the BR-Tubes. Most BR Boxes are "tuned" between 50-30Hz.
Whatever, you´ve to use the "try an error" Method. Nobody can really say what is to do.

musical regards ULi

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.