Elliptron Schematic - diyAudio
Go Back   Home > Forums > Amplifiers > Tubes / Valves

Tubes / Valves All about our sweet vacuum tubes :) Threads about Musical Instrument Amps of all kinds should be in the Instruments & Amps forum

Please consider donating to help us continue to serve you.

Ads on/off / Custom Title / More PMs / More album space / Advanced printing & mass image saving

Old 30th August 2003, 11:28 PM   #1
diyAudio Member

Default Elliptron Schematic

Since I have a scanner now I thought I would update an old thread with a new schematic. This is the Elliptron using two floating power supplies. Using a normal Ultralinear P-P xfmr with 40% taps gives a design with 28% cathode drive.
Attached Images
File Type: gif ell1.gif (10.0 KB, 1082 views)
Old 30th August 2003, 11:39 PM   #2
diyAudio Member

Default Single supply version

This is the schematic for a single non-floating (ie. traditional) power supply Elliptron. The capacitors in the cathode circuits may be a problem here since they will change voltage after a large current load. My hope is that by putting a similar sized capacitor in the power supply (from B+ to ground), their effect on the cathode feedback voltage for the grids will cancel out. Any comments?
Attached Images
File Type: gif ell2.gif (12.3 KB, 1063 views)
Old 24th March 2004, 02:59 AM   #3
diyAudio Member

Default Already invented !! Darn!

It seems that the "elliptron" circuit was already invented (or very close to it), at least by 1981:

http://digilander.libero.it/paeng/srpp_vs_gomez.htm

(note the +A and +B power supply connections on the output transformer at the UL tap connections and the other end of the floating supplies, -A and -B, connected to the cathode circuits)

Darn, thought I had something new. Has everything already been invented!
Old 24th March 2004, 03:48 AM   #4
diyAudio Member

Hi,

Sorry to be sounding negative but this coupling has most certainly been tested long even before the reference article you refer to was published, I think I remember it mentioned in a book by Terman from the 1930-ties.

There is a tendency in the tube business today to re-invent old ideas and claim that they are new and revolutionary but in fact they have usually been tested, tried and discarded as not good solutions long time ago, the same hold for almost any industry including SS technology or in the car industry.

Try to find a library containing old tube technology books and you can find a lot of ideas that sounded good at on time but didn't hold into commercial products. I am very fortunate as my father who now is 85 years old was heavily involved with tube manufacturing and tube circuit technology during a large part of his professional carieer and he has given me all his old reference books, I am always enjoying reading about all the wild ideas that was up on the table at one time.

Regards Hans

Hide this!Advertise here!