• WARNING: Tube/Valve amplifiers use potentially LETHAL HIGH VOLTAGES.
    Building, troubleshooting and testing of these amplifiers should only be
    performed by someone who is thoroughly familiar with
    the safety precautions around high voltages.

Elliptron Schematic

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
Since I have a scanner now I thought I would update an old thread with a new schematic. This is the Elliptron using two floating power supplies. Using a normal Ultralinear P-P xfmr with 40% taps gives a design with 28% cathode drive.

Attachments

• ell1.gif
    ell1.gif
    10 KB · Views: 1,391
Single supply version

This is the schematic for a single non-floating (ie. traditional) power supply Elliptron. The capacitors in the cathode circuits may be a problem here since they will change voltage after a large current load. My hope is that by putting a similar sized capacitor in the power supply (from B+ to ground), their effect on the cathode feedback voltage for the grids will cancel out. Any comments?

Attachments

• ell2.gif
    ell2.gif
    12.3 KB · Views: 1,360
Already invented !! Darn!

It seems that the "elliptron" circuit was already invented (or very close to it), at least by 1981:

http://digilander.libero.it/paeng/srpp_vs_gomez.htm

(note the +A and +B power supply connections on the output transformer at the UL tap connections and the other end of the floating supplies, -A and -B, connected to the cathode circuits)

Darn, thought I had something new. Has everything already been invented!
:bawling: :bawling: :bawling:

Hi,

Sorry to be sounding negative but this coupling has most certainly been tested long even before the reference article you refer to was published, I think I remember it mentioned in a book by Terman from the 1930-ties.

There is a tendency in the tube business today to re-invent old ideas and claim that they are new and revolutionary but in fact they have usually been tested, tried and discarded as not good solutions long time ago, the same hold for almost any industry including SS technology or in the car industry.

Try to find a library containing old tube technology books and you can find a lot of ideas that sounded good at on time but didn't hold into commercial products. I am very fortunate as my father who now is 85 years old was heavily involved with tube manufacturing and tube circuit technology during a large part of his professional carieer and he has given me all his old reference books, I am always enjoying reading about all the wild ideas that was up on the table at one time.

Regards Hans

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.