• WARNING: Tube/Valve amplifiers use potentially LETHAL HIGH VOLTAGES.
    Building, troubleshooting and testing of these amplifiers should only be
    performed by someone who is thoroughly familiar with
    the safety precautions around high voltages.

Vg=0 distortion

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
Hi I rather new to this forum and to the art of designing tube amps for guitars.

I drew a schematic for a low watt triod El84 SE-amp with a variable catode-bias for the ecc82 valve in the preamp. In between the two triodes of the ecc82 i put resistors so the second half gets as large a grid peakvoltage as the first.
My intention with the design was to get symetric distortion both against the HT-cutoff and the Vg=0.

The question is: Does the valve cut the voltage swing aginst the Vg=0. One person told me that cupling caps makes the voltage go further than Vg=0 but I didn´t realy understand what he meant. Can someone please help me understand how the valve works when crossing in to +grid voltage and explain how I can get a sharp cut in voltage swing. Does cupling caps have anything to do with it and in that case, what do they do?

Cutting signal off at 0 volts

Hi Metal. Yes, the signal can go positive, with the input Z going pretty low. Depends on the driver stage how far positive the signal can go. With a 12AX7, it will almost abruptly stop. With a higher current tube, or CF, the signal can go much more positive.

One way you can stop a positive grid situation is simply put a small signal silicone diode (germanium if the PIV will withstand the negative swing) from grid to ground and the signal voltage will only go approx. +0,7 volts (+0.4 volts for germanium) on the grid.
You could supply a slightly negative voltage to the anode of the diode and have the diode stop the signal at the grid to 0 or even a little negative, say -1.0 volts, so the grid will never reach 0. The Z of the negative supply should be low and you can adjust the voltage for the cutoff point.

Thanks a lot. Just what I wanted to know. I was a little worried about the lvl of distortion when the grid aproached Vg=0.

Now I get both sweet, warm compression at 8V-bias and more modern distortion at 4V-bias.
Does anyone have any good advise about diod-distortion. So it sound as good as it can.

David

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.