Go Back   Home > Forums > Amplifiers > Tubes / Valves

Tubes / Valves All about our sweet vacuum tubes :) Threads about Musical Instrument Amps of all kinds should be in the Instruments & Amps forum

Please consider donating to help us continue to serve you.

Ads on/off / Custom Title / More PMs / More album space / Advanced printing & mass image saving

Old 9th September 2011, 08:22 PM   #21
rss388 is offline rss388  United States
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by data View Post
ooops!

Where I say " but for the MC-10Lc the build quality has a lot to be desired" is not as I intended it to read, I meant it to read as " but for the MC-10Lc the build quality leaves a lot to be desired"

In other words, the build quality is not very good in my view, and I'm being kind in wording it that way.
In general, I agree with you that the build quality is not that great. What you get is an 85% executed design, where the design is basically good, key parts are of good quality and wiring is actually not bad either. The 15% is in the fit, finish, cleaning up the soldering and areas that make the product look sloppy and potentially affect quality. That said, I think one gets one what pays for with these amps -- a low cost way to get into pretty nice sounding tube amps.
Old 9th September 2011, 09:01 PM   #22
data is offline data  Australia
Account disabled at member's request

The look is not something I consider when evaluation something like this. I guess any criticisms are subjective, and dependent of the level one is comparing it to.

But yeah, at the price point it's value for money, be very hard pressed to purchase the transformers alone for the cost of the amp.
Old 10th September 2011, 08:25 AM   #23
diyAudio Member

I think the MC10L is the best sounding and most reliable tube amp from China at a budget. You have to pay a lot more to improve either of those qualities.

In short - a good amp to start with (nice circuit too IMO) and gives you a nice set of transformers and tubes to start.

These days I look upon all Chinese tube amps as DIY kits though, as I have to change the circuit topologies and tubes
Old 10th September 2011, 08:47 AM   #24

That's a very good way to look at these, Globulator.
Old 11th September 2011, 04:24 PM   #25
diyAudio Member

Hello.
I am an importer of tube amplifiers Tonewin. Tonewin is the OEM factory that produces amplifiers for other brands. Also for Yaqin. With these amplifiers I have a lot of experience. Mostly good. As the budget I propose the purchase MC-5881 (2 x 23W, tubes 6N1P/6N23P and 5881/6L6/6P3S. If you need more power buy MS-20L (2x40W, EL34 and 6J1/6AK5). In all models, I recommend changing interstage caps: Jantzen Audio Superior Z-caps or Russian PIO K40. MS-20L sounds better than the MC-10L.
Old 11th September 2011, 04:36 PM   #26

That's interesting info, matejsirk.

Thank you
Old 12th September 2011, 05:06 AM   #27
Jpeg is offline Jpeg  United States
diyAudio Member

I have had a MC-100b for about 2 years and I still really like it. It has good bass, good overall balance, just a little bit of warmth, and lots of power. I can see why some people would be concerned about quality issues, mine had 2 stripped out screw holes, and the right side bezel doesn't match the left side. That seems to be the extent of the issues, as I have no reliabily issues with mine. I will say that is seems to be more sensitve to what brand tubes you use than most amps I have used. I will also say that I hooked mine to a pair of Heresy 2s and I didn't particularly like the combo. But it did sound good with several other pairs of speakers I tried including some Polks, Dyanaco A-35, and some Von Schweikert vr-2s. Not sure what kind of amp K-horns like, I have never had a chance to listen to a pair. Just my 2 cents.
Old 21st May 2012, 07:54 PM   #28
diyAudio Member

I have a Yaqin MS300C. Connected to a Linn DSI. At 1/3 of the price the 300B Amp is outperforming the Linn. Power is limited though. Today I have visited the Opera Consonance Office in Beijing. Auditioned the M15 speaker. Was quite impressive, not highest 3D effect nor "resolution". Endless being there however. I want one! Anybody here has good designs for 95+dB loudspeakers? Looking forward to hearing from you!
Old 22nd May 2012, 09:46 PM   #29

I have read excellent reviews regarding the sound of the 300b Yaqin, if I had efficient speakers It's a budget option I would look into.
Old 30th January 2013, 11:29 AM   #30
regal is offline regal  United States
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by data View Post
I have read excellent reviews regarding the sound of the 300b Yaqin, if I had efficient speakers It's a budget option I would look into.
Are there any "budget" efficient speakers or DIY designs. I always see these great buys for china tube amps but always ask myself where or how would I build speakers to match.

I mean if I'm going to spend $5k on Klipsch Lascala I might as well just spend another $2K on a 300B build. I can't seem to find anything on this site about building Lascala/Cornwall type speakers or smaller versions. There is the full range forum but those speakers really aren't that efficient.

Hide this!Advertise here!