• WARNING: Tube/Valve amplifiers use potentially LETHAL HIGH VOLTAGES.
    Building, troubleshooting and testing of these amplifiers should only be
    performed by someone who is thoroughly familiar with
    the safety precautions around high voltages.

Jensen JT-11P-1 on tube amp input

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
Hi everyone.

I recently upgraded my system to a balanced source and I bought a couple of Jensen JT-11P-1 to use with both the amp described here: http://www.diyaudio.com/forums/tubes-valves/61776-my-experience-building-drd-d3a-300b-amp.html and a PASS F5 amp.

Jensen recommends a damping network consisting of a 13k resistor and a 620pF cap before my 47K input resistor on the tube amp and 100K on the Pass F5.

I was wondering if any of the members here had experience with input trannies to help me out figuring what would be the best way of hooking these things up. Is Jensen´s damping network OK for my amps or there could be another way of doing it (without that cap in there would be cool...) I´ve seen some interesting stuff like Thorsten´s way of doing it on the attached image...(granted with a different input transformer)

Any help would be greatly appreciated!! Thanks for your time.

Luis

Attachments

• LadyDay-Schematic.gif
    LadyDay-Schematic.gif
    24.8 KB · Views: 746
The Jensen units are excellent... I've used them for years. As you've changed your source to a balanced one, is it pro or consumer level? If consumer then you have the right ones, if pro, the JT-10KB would be the correct choice as it's a 4:1 step-down.

Referencing the following App note:
http://jensentransformers.com/as/as087.pdf

The JT-11P1 is designed to run with 10K load impedance. As the typical tube amp will have a much higher input resistance, the RC network applies. If you're building the input transformer into the amplifier chassis you could just change the input resistor value.

Regards, KM

Hello,

Richy, I´ve ordered directly from Jensen. They are efficient and fast.

Kmaier, my source will be an Apogee Symphony IO. It has sofware controlled variable analog trim on the outputs, so I think I´m fine with the JT-11P-1.

Yes, the transformers will go inside so should I just wire a 10K resistor on the transformer secondary and remove the 47K input resistor on the tube amp and the 100K input resistor on the Pass F5?

Thanks and regards,

Luis

I've ordered from Jensen direct and also from Markertek in the US, which usually have it discounted.

Regards, KM

I've bought Jensen from Markertek and plan to buy four more JT-11P-1 when I can afford it.

P.S. I plan to use Cornell Dubilier CD19FD621FO3F for one circuit. Anyone have a better cap to suggest? Another circuit for a 10K amp input should be able to get by without the network. My unterstanding is that the circuits ring if not properly loaded.

Last edited:
Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.