Go Back   Home > Forums > Amplifiers > Tubes / Valves

Tubes / Valves All about our sweet vacuum tubes :) Threads about Musical Instrument Amps of all kinds should be in the Instruments & Amps forum

Please consider donating to help us continue to serve you.

Ads on/off / Custom Title / More PMs / More album space / Advanced printing & mass image saving

Old 28th August 2011, 07:54 PM   #11
diyAudio Member

OY!
Old 30th August 2011, 10:39 AM   #12
diyAudio Member

I'll be separating the transformer today to see if it gets hot all on it's own. But thought I'd share a video I made of it working with 2 bi-amped TA2024 amps.

Bi-Amping Class T Amplifier Tripath TA2024 - YouTube

p.s. Because I'm starting from scratch- is it possible to explain in baby talk how a transformer would connect to this board? If I bought a new transformer (labeled) as the stock one isn't... there's 0-6.3v and 230v connectors on board- with a new 115V 30VA (recommended) by seller or I'm open to suggestions- you see I've looked at several 30VA transformers and I'm still unsure about which power output I should get for a board marked 230v (sigh). I know once you know this stuff it's second hand, but I've only just learned the word 'filaments' :0

Best,
Xeta
Old 30th August 2011, 03:37 PM   #13
diyAudio Member

looks like you want a 230v secondary with 300v output, you might get away with 220. i wouldnt have thought youd need a 115v input on the board unless the switch was on the board too.
Edit
you would connect the 0-6v of the transformer into the 0-6v though by the looks of the board is it a 6-0-6 or 3-0-3? and youd plug the 230v of the secondary into the 230v part of the board. then connect the primary to the switch and mains input.

Last edited by razorrick1293; 30th August 2011 at 03:39 PM.
Old 30th August 2011, 05:26 PM   #14
diyAudio Member

So it's 110v in from outlet to (primary) and the secondary (230v) to the board?

I disconnected the supply and tested it for heat, on it's own. Sadly the transformer they included has no markings whatsoever. It may be better to start with a new one. It gets warm but not real 'hot' like before when connected to the board. Hmmm...

Board pics
Click the image to open in full size.
Click the image to open in full size.

Uploaded with ImageShack.us

Last edited by xetaprime; 30th August 2011 at 05:45 PM.
Old 30th August 2011, 11:45 PM   #15
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by xetaprime View Post
So it's 110v in from outlet to (primary) and the secondary (230v) to the board?

I disconnected the supply and tested it for heat, on it's own. Sadly the transformer they included has no markings whatsoever. It may be better to start with a new one. It gets warm but not real 'hot' like before when connected to the board. Hmmm...
with no load i wouldnt have though a transformer would produce alot of heat if any, but i may be wrong, but yes you are right, 110v in from outlet to primary, then 230 secondary to board.
Old 31st August 2011, 12:15 AM   #16
kevinkr is offline kevinkr  United States
diyAudio Moderator

Transformer should be barely warm to the touch if there is no load on it.

I'd say you need to get a new transformer..

I've also noticed what appears to be a string of zener diodes connected by resistors back to the bridge rectifier, and am now wondering how much current they are running through those diodes.. Can you identify the values of some of those resistors and the zeners? Hand drawn schematic captured with a decent camera would work if you don't have access to a decent scanner..
Old 31st August 2011, 01:30 AM   #17
diyAudio Member

Thanx razorrick1293. It is such a simple concept but it's still not easy finding that easy answer through google :0 That does help and makes sense.

kevinkr, with no load it was warm, luke warm? But nothing compared to when hooked up. I'll try and identify some of those buggers tomorrow.

Best to y'all,
Xeta
Old 31st August 2011, 01:31 AM   #18
diyAudio Member

your welcome, good luck with your project
Old 31st August 2011, 01:57 AM   #19
kevinkr is offline kevinkr  United States
diyAudio Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by xetaprime View Post
<snip>
kevinkr, with no load it was warm, luke warm? But nothing compared to when hooked up. I'll try and identify some of those buggers tomorrow.

Best to y'all,
Xeta
That's encouraging, that transformer might be OK - just over loaded, and I'm guessing by a design issue.

Hide this!Advertise here!