• WARNING: Tube/Valve amplifiers use potentially LETHAL HIGH VOLTAGES.
    Building, troubleshooting and testing of these amplifiers should only be
    performed by someone who is thoroughly familiar with
    the safety precautions around high voltages.

the tv underrated tubes

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
i just stumbled across some tv damper diodes and cant stop thinking these must be pretty damm underrated .

take for example the py500 its extremely rugged . cheap . and can withstand a punishment from hell cathode is rated for something like 1A peak the cathode surface is bigger than any power tube ive stumbled across . its also readily avalable dont be fooled by 15 ebay hits . every one whit a stack of tubes will have them . once there is a demand more will pop up

i think two of these half wave rectifiers should be good upto 300-400ma .
when air cooled
what im not getting is why is nobody using them in 211 /845 amps ?

same story goes for some sweep tubes 519 is rated for 35w then you have your amateur radio operators using them at 100w per bottle . whitout any problems cathodes are HUGE . edit most of these are even available whit 6v filaments

Last edited:
TV Efficiency (Damper) diodes really are good for power amps. They are my first choice, especially for the slow 30s warm up. Use them hybrid-bridge style with 2x UF4007 and a snubber RC network, and you can use a simple secondary transformer - the performance is unbeatable. I bought a box of PY500As a while ago, to keep stocked up.

Lundahl Transformers - Hybrid power supply

The PL519 is no secret though, and I think the good ones (Mullard of course) are near to exhaustion. Tim de Paravicini (E.A.R.) probably bought them all. I haven't tried the Russian 6C4x yet, but I am sure they will be excellent value.

With the P-series valves [300mA series heaters], the only precaution to be aware of is that these have heaters designed for series operation, and will draw a very large turn-ON current pulse if you run them directly across a transformer secondary (eg 42V for a PY500A). To do it right, allow 15-20% excessive voltage, and add a series resistor to soak it up. Or, Run them dc with a CCS to control the current.

that brings me to another great tv tube . its a driver for CTR's has very high ma/v its still avalable for 1/4 of the cost of a new 12ax7

now im not gona say the name . out loud course supply is limited and to avoid the crazies buying em all . but if you figure your lucky

oh yeah i took one apart . its crazy build . everything hard metal gold plated and then carbonized . and after serving in a TV it looked like it took a heluva beating

kudo's if you know what im talking bout .

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.