• WARNING: Tube/Valve amplifiers use potentially LETHAL HIGH VOLTAGES.
    Building, troubleshooting and testing of these amplifiers should only be
    performed by someone who is thoroughly familiar with
    the safety precautions around high voltages.

$75 tube amp kit on eBay???

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
"10 watt" amp that later in the text makes "4 or 5 watts" and probably will only make 3 when actually tested.

The 6DR7 (dissimilar dual Triode, 13DR7 in his) only has a plate dissipation of 7W , so even 3W out in class A is probably optimistic if distortion is to be kept low.

I have to agree it is junk.

Joined 2009
Paid Member
It's probably 10 W at hard clipping if you add the power output from both channels.... :)

To build a Spud-type SET amp even with the small $20 Edcor transformers, I'd budget around $100~$150 in parts alone. Then add chassis. So at $75, I'd be skeptical. Also, I'd like to see the circuit schematic and a parts list so I know what I'd be buying. Looks like someone is clearing out their junk box and will respond to any customer support questions after the sale in a manner along the lines of, "you assembled it wrong".

~Tom

A 'kit' without a parts list is pretty vague and misleading.
Quote: "You don't get everything shown".

And, using davidyee as a stellar example doesn't inspire much confidence in me.

For $100 you can buy a Tubelab Simple PP board and the parts to stuff the board. Add transformers, tubes, hardware and you will have a real amp- though you will spend a lot more than $75 before you are finished.

Some things are 'just too good to be true'.

$75 seems very cheap. If it seems too good to be true . . .

He says British 13DR7. I find that surprising for three reasons:
1. our TV sets did not generally use power triodes for frame output, but tetrodes or pentodes.
2. our TV sets used 300mA series heater strings, not 450mA.
3. there does not appear to be a European name (YCC8x, YCC18x etc.) for it.

Still, I've been wrong before!

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.