• WARNING: Tube/Valve amplifiers use potentially LETHAL HIGH VOLTAGES.
    Building, troubleshooting and testing of these amplifiers should only be
    performed by someone who is thoroughly familiar with
    the safety precautions around high voltages.

rec. for creative ideas for alternative tube amp chassis

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
some of us have to(or may even prefer to) make do with what's available as far as tube amp chassis go.

while i've seen the usual ideas for using surplus computer or printer chassis, biscuit tins and various other suggestions on this board, ..i thought it would be interesting to have a thread where people put forward their suggestions for alternative chassis which could work

thanks, vin :)

how ´bout cardboard?

Ideas...
Sometimes shoeboxes look really good. Sic! :nod:
And, compared to tin boxes and the like, cardboard is a lot easier to make holes in. Since the shoebox probably already sports a well designed lid you´ll enjoy easy access to your components for changing things, which is great in a developing DIY project.
If the cardboard isn´t steady enough, you could use wooden crossbraces as supports for tubes, transformers and big capacitors.

----

That sheet metal with lotsa holes in it, whatever it´s called, might be good for DIY work too. Maybe you could use it as a kind of ground plane - by using small screws in the holes of the sheet and connecting/fastening component leads directly to the sheet with ´dem screws. This would make it possible (but not necessarily easier) to change the ground layout, which is important in RIAA amps and the like. The "hole sheet metal" piece could be mounted on top of or in the middle of any wooden box with the same, or slightly larger, size.

Really, I am just throwing ideas out to you. Catch if you like! :)

zobsky said:
some of us have to(or may even prefer to) make do with what's available as far as tube amp chassis go.

while i've seen the usual ideas for using surplus computer or printer chassis, biscuit tins and various other suggestions on this board, ..i thought it would be interesting to have a thread where people put forward their suggestions for alternative chassis which could work

thanks, vin :)

This is in the same vein as computer chassis, but I think an external SCSI box of some sort would work. The ones designed for 5.25" CD-ROM drives and the like are probably just the right size for a modest tube amp. Just drill/cut out the top of the chassis for the tubes/caps/tranformers. I'm not sure about refinishing the box, but it could probably be done, or wood sides could be built around it.

Re: how ´bout cardboard?

zix said:
Ideas...
Sometimes shoeboxes look really good. Sic! :nod:
And, compared to tin boxes and the like, cardboard is a lot easier to make holes in. Since the shoebox probably already sports a well designed lid you´ll enjoy easy access to your components for changing things, which is great in a developing DIY project.
If the cardboard isn´t steady enough, you could use wooden crossbraces as supports for tubes, transformers and big capacitors.

Really, I am just throwing ideas out to you. Catch if you like! :)

i can just see it now "nike (TM) high performance tube amp"

seriously though, i have used a thin sheet of particle board before, ...keeping it stiff though is not that easy, unless you brace it. also not a good long term to use a cardboard box solution in view of fire hazards

the perforated metal idea seems interesting

i have also used a printer distributor box. very often in surplus stores, you will see a bunch of commercial grade non-working network router boxes, and other arcane equipment going for just a buck or so. these are sometimes built really tough and better than many raw chassis, if you are willing to be creative and utiilze them.

thanks for your replies, keep em coming.

very often in surplus stores, you will see a bunch of commercial grade non-working network router boxes, and other arcane equipment going for just a buck or so. these are sometimes built really tough and better than many raw chassis, if you are willing to be creative and utiilze them.
Fabulous! Smallish 7/8 port switches/hubs could be used for line and RIAA amps. If you cover the diode happy front with a wooden frontplate or something it´ll probably look great!
And the RJ-45 contacts aren´t all that bad, are they? I mean, they´re already mounted and all... And CAT-5 cable is supposed to be great for audio cable. Or was that for speakers?

more ideas

marble or granite tile would make a nice top surface. you can buy special bits or cutters to cut small holes in tile for the tubes and transformers.

mirrors are also nice, if a bit shiny.

you can find old perf metal covers from e.g. Dynaco amps on ebay for not too much.

a 'shadow box' style wooden frame could be used for the walls of the chassis, if you have an old one around. (or buy a new one - they're already finished and joined.)

any premade metal box could be interesting - how about a retro lunchbox? scooby-doobie-toobie, anyone?

or for that matter - find an old tube radio, gut it, and use that enclosure. instant deco box - bakelite, plastic, wood.

a nice cigar box...

/andrew

My passive linestage now sits in a cigar box:

An externally hosted image should be here but it was not working when we last tested it.

An externally hosted image should be here but it was not working when we last tested it.

I wouldn't recommend this for tube circuits though, because of the heating/fire issues. I considered cardboard and wooden boxes for my tube amp, but ultimately ended up with a boring aluminum box just for peace of mind.

Nothing obvious that I've noticed (like radio voices or anything). I don't have the tools or the knowledge to chase the less obvious manifestations of RFI. The worst RFI problems I had was when I was building my phono stage - buzzing, crackling, and Spanish talk radio.

How about an attache case? You could have all the tube sticking out of the lid just like every other kit, but anytime you wanted to work on it, or show off the insides, just open the lid. The bonus is a built in handle for packing it around. You could have plastic, vinyl, leather, or even high tech aluminum.

:)ensen.

i had a friend in college who carried an acrylic 'briefcase'.

an artist's paint box is essentially a wooden briefcase. they look nice too.

if you have a 'container store' nearby there's lots of good box ideas in that shop.

(FWIW - there's a popular headphone amp project on www.headwize.com that many people (myself included) have chosen to build in an altoids tin. for a fullsize amp you could use a larger cookie or candy tin. circular, even.)

/andrew

travis said:
go to the army navy surplus store and get one of those ammo boxes?

there's an army-navy store right next to my apartment. ... this seems like a cool gift to make someone

yesterday, i spotted a coca-cola metal tray that might look good hanging from the wall with tubes spouting from it , ..assuming of course that it is securely mounted, ... i don't know how this fits into the vibration dampening scheme of things, but anyway ....

methinks the ultimate cool preamp would be built into one of those short stout minikeg aluminium cans of beer. not the easiest space to work in, but it just might be possible.

;) ;)

Ikea also as many metal storage boxes. You could use the mesh office supply stuff and have passive surround cooling.
Yeah, the wastepaper baskets will become excellent drums for a BBQ coffee roaster. Ooops, wrong forum, sorry :rolleyes:
Also, let´s not forget the shelf itself. With a stereo rack/shelf system that has removable shelfs, you could simply mount the stuff directly on the shelf - or if it is an inappropriate shelf material, just make a replacement shelf yourself in which you may drill and mount to your hearts content. I am thinking of John Sherwoods amps (the picture at the bottom of the page), that one looks great I think, but I would probably use one or two of the shelves in my "rack" instead. Nice copper tubing though!

Just think how nice those 300b's would look glowing through the door...

Attachments

• wood stove.jpg
    wood stove.jpg
    24.1 KB · Views: 319
Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.