rec. for creative ideas for alternative tube amp chassis - diyAudio
Go Back   Home > Forums > Amplifiers > Tubes / Valves

Tubes / Valves All about our sweet vacuum tubes :) Threads about Musical Instrument Amps of all kinds should be in the Instruments & Amps forum

Please consider donating to help us continue to serve you.

Ads on/off / Custom Title / More PMs / More album space / Advanced printing & mass image saving

Old 28th August 2003, 05:15 PM   #1
zobsky is offline zobsky  India
diyAudio Member

Default rec. for creative ideas for alternative tube amp chassis

some of us have to(or may even prefer to) make do with what's available as far as tube amp chassis go.

while i've seen the usual ideas for using surplus computer or printer chassis, biscuit tins and various other suggestions on this board, ..i thought it would be interesting to have a thread where people put forward their suggestions for alternative chassis which could work

thanks, vin
Old 28th August 2003, 10:50 PM   #2
zix is offline zix  Sweden
diyAudio Member

Default how ībout cardboard?

Ideas...
Sometimes shoeboxes look really good. Sic!
And, compared to tin boxes and the like, cardboard is a lot easier to make holes in. Since the shoebox probably already sports a well designed lid youīll enjoy easy access to your components for changing things, which is great in a developing DIY project.
If the cardboard isnīt steady enough, you could use wooden crossbraces as supports for tubes, transformers and big capacitors.

----

That sheet metal with lotsa holes in it, whatever itīs called, might be good for DIY work too. Maybe you could use it as a kind of ground plane - by using small screws in the holes of the sheet and connecting/fastening component leads directly to the sheet with īdem screws. This would make it possible (but not necessarily easier) to change the ground layout, which is important in RIAA amps and the like. The "hole sheet metal" piece could be mounted on top of or in the middle of any wooden box with the same, or slightly larger, size.

Really, I am just throwing ideas out to you. Catch if you like!
Old 28th August 2003, 10:57 PM   #3
r0cket- is offline r0cket-  United States
diyAudio Member

Default Re: rec. for creative ideas for alternative tube amp chassis

Quote:
Originally posted by zobsky
some of us have to(or may even prefer to) make do with what's available as far as tube amp chassis go.

while i've seen the usual ideas for using surplus computer or printer chassis, biscuit tins and various other suggestions on this board, ..i thought it would be interesting to have a thread where people put forward their suggestions for alternative chassis which could work

thanks, vin
This is in the same vein as computer chassis, but I think an external SCSI box of some sort would work. The ones designed for 5.25" CD-ROM drives and the like are probably just the right size for a modest tube amp. Just drill/cut out the top of the chassis for the tubes/caps/tranformers. I'm not sure about refinishing the box, but it could probably be done, or wood sides could be built around it.
Old 28th August 2003, 11:11 PM   #4
zobsky is offline zobsky  India
diyAudio Member

Default Re: how ībout cardboard?

Quote:
Originally posted by zix
Ideas...
Sometimes shoeboxes look really good. Sic!
And, compared to tin boxes and the like, cardboard is a lot easier to make holes in. Since the shoebox probably already sports a well designed lid youīll enjoy easy access to your components for changing things, which is great in a developing DIY project.
If the cardboard isnīt steady enough, you could use wooden crossbraces as supports for tubes, transformers and big capacitors.

Really, I am just throwing ideas out to you. Catch if you like!
i can just see it now "nike (TM) high performance tube amp"

seriously though, i have used a thin sheet of particle board before, ...keeping it stiff though is not that easy, unless you brace it. also not a good long term to use a cardboard box solution in view of fire hazards

the perforated metal idea seems interesting

i have also used a printer distributor box. very often in surplus stores, you will see a bunch of commercial grade non-working network router boxes, and other arcane equipment going for just a buck or so. these are sometimes built really tough and better than many raw chassis, if you are willing to be creative and utiilze them.

thanks for your replies, keep em coming.
Old 28th August 2003, 11:14 PM   #5
diyAudio Senior Member

Hi,

Quote:
also not a good long term to use a cardboard box solution in view of fire hazards
Use anything you like but keep it safe and also consider shielding from RFI and EMI.

Cheers,
Old 29th August 2003, 12:31 AM   #6
zix is offline zix  Sweden
diyAudio Member

Quote:
very often in surplus stores, you will see a bunch of commercial grade non-working network router boxes, and other arcane equipment going for just a buck or so. these are sometimes built really tough and better than many raw chassis, if you are willing to be creative and utiilze them.
Fabulous! Smallish 7/8 port switches/hubs could be used for line and RIAA amps. If you cover the diode happy front with a wooden frontplate or something itīll probably look great!
And the RJ-45 contacts arenīt all that bad, are they? I mean, theyīre already mounted and all... And CAT-5 cable is supposed to be great for audio cable. Or was that for speakers?
Old 29th August 2003, 12:52 AM   #7
diyAudio Member

Default more ideas

marble or granite tile would make a nice top surface. you can buy special bits or cutters to cut small holes in tile for the tubes and transformers.

mirrors are also nice, if a bit shiny.

you can find old perf metal covers from e.g. Dynaco amps on ebay for not too much.

a 'shadow box' style wooden frame could be used for the walls of the chassis, if you have an old one around. (or buy a new one - they're already finished and joined.)

any premade metal box could be interesting - how about a retro lunchbox? scooby-doobie-toobie, anyone?

or for that matter - find an old tube radio, gut it, and use that enclosure. instant deco box - bakelite, plastic, wood.

a nice cigar box...

/andrew
Old 29th August 2003, 01:07 AM   #8
diyAudio Member

My passive linestage now sits in a cigar box:

Click the image to open in full size.

Click the image to open in full size.

I wouldn't recommend this for tube circuits though, because of the heating/fire issues. I considered cardboard and wooden boxes for my tube amp, but ultimately ended up with a boring aluminum box just for peace of mind.
Old 29th August 2003, 01:10 AM   #9
diyAudio Member

pretty.
Old 29th August 2003, 01:16 AM   #10
diyAudio Member

Send a message via AIM to travis
go to the army navy surplus store and get one of those ammo boxes?

Hide this!Advertise here!