K-12G vs. K-502 - diyAudio
Go Back   Home > Forums > Amplifiers > Tubes / Valves

Tubes / Valves All about our sweet vacuum tubes :) Threads about Musical Instrument Amps of all kinds should be in the Instruments & Amps forum

Please consider donating to help us continue to serve you.

Ads on/off / Custom Title / More PMs / More album space / Advanced printing & mass image saving

Old 24th August 2011, 10:46 PM   #1
diyAudio Member

Default K-12G vs. K-502

I want to build a relatively low power and very much all in one tube amp kit. I really like the K-12G from what I have read, but there appear to be a lot of mods done to pull it up to optimal performance. I am also looking at the K-502 but unfortunately there doesn't appear to be a lot of documentation on those builds. Does the K-502 address any of the issues people are modding the K-12G to fix???

I am wondering if I am better off getting the K-12G and spending the time getting different caps, adding snubbers, changing the tranfo, etc. or just getting the K-502 and maybe changing the pot and just upgrading the caps.

The speakers I am buying to go with this are the Klipsch RB-61's which have high enough sensitivity for me (> 94 dB), especially for a small apartment bedroom.
Old 24th August 2011, 11:53 PM   #2
diyAudio Member

Whether a person has the K-12G or the K502, upgrading would be virtually the same and IMHO probably follow the usual upgrade path for any valve amp.

It seems to me that the real choice here is whether you want to use the 10GV8 tube or the 11BM8 tube.
Old 25th August 2011, 12:01 AM   #3
diyAudio Member

Seeing as this is the case, which in your opinion is the better of the two? I am now leaning to the K-502.
Old 25th August 2011, 12:15 AM   #4
diyAudio Member

There are PP schematics available out there for the 6BM8 which could be tried point to point using the same iron and most of the components of the K502, not sure the same can be said of the K-12G.
Old 25th August 2011, 12:49 AM   #5
frugal-phile(tm)
diyAudio Moderator

Personally i'd get 2 of these More Info for item K-501

Click the image to open in full size.

dave
Old 25th August 2011, 02:19 AM   #6
diyAudio Member

Forgive my ignorance (this is my first build) but what is the difference?
Old 25th August 2011, 02:29 AM   #7
frugal-phile(tm)
diyAudio Moderator

this is the mono version. The key is twice the power supply (same power stransformer as the other, but you get 2 of them).

dave
Old 25th August 2011, 02:34 AM   #8
diyAudio Member

Right now I am doing my best to keep this compact and all in one as it were. Given that I plan to upgrade the caps and OPT, I am now leaning very heavily towards the K-502. If I don't order soon, I'll never build :/
Old 25th August 2011, 04:29 AM   #9
rmyauck is offline rmyauck  Canada
diyAudio Member

Great idea from Dave!

That separate PS is really a boon to better sonics, and well worth the extra few $ as you really do get twice the PS. That really small single PS transformer is really on the small side for stereo. Will really help lower distortion. Just park them side by side and not much bigger. Stereo separation is improved too. Great idea that you won't regret! Probably as good as upgrading output transformers in this case!
Old 25th August 2011, 04:46 AM   #10
diyAudio Member

Interesting idea. I'm doing my very best to keep this as compact as possible . What are your thoughts on maybe instead just buying a beefed up tranfo for the stereo amp? Part of my worry is the cost of upgrading the parts on two boards, especially if I use high quality caps, not to mention twice the initial cost.

Last edited by milsman2; 25th August 2011 at 04:53 AM.

Hide this!Advertise here!