• WARNING: Tube/Valve amplifiers use potentially LETHAL HIGH VOLTAGES.
    Building, troubleshooting and testing of these amplifiers should only be
    performed by someone who is thoroughly familiar with
    the safety precautions around high voltages.

My small tube does it work?

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
Hello,help me please
I just finish assembly EL34 PP (Assembly kit) but I have question why 12AX7 tube the heater have't a light?

Compare with 6N3 buffer tube it has.

I connect 6.3V to EL34 and 12AX7. > 4 lines (Current 2A/line)

Thank you

Attachments

• EL34 PP with 12AX7.JPG
    EL34 PP with 12AX7.JPG
    211 KB · Views: 205
  • 6N3 buffer.JPG
    6N3 buffer.JPG
    192 KB · Views: 209
Disabled Account
Joined 2010
Hello,help me please
I just finish assembly EL34 PP (Assembly kit) but I have question why 12AX7 tube the heater have't a light?

Compare with 6N3 buffer tube it has.

I connect 6.3V to EL34 and 12AX7. > 4 lines (Current 2A/line)

Thank you

Hi,

If you have a look at this link it's a PDF. The 12AX7 has two heaters if they are wired in series then thats 12V they are 6.3v each.

So at a first guess you have them in series and they should be in parallel for 6.3V.

Link:
http://www.r-type.org/pdfs/12ax7.pdf

If you are not sure then join pins 4 and 5 togeather and put the heater supply across 4-5 and 9

Regards
M. Gregg

Last edited:
Hi,

If you have a look at this link it's a PDF. The 12AX7 has two heaters if they are wired in series then thats 12V they are 6.3v each.

So at a first guess you have them in series and they should be in parallel for 6.3V.

Link:
http://www.r-type.org/pdfs/12ax7.pdf

If you are not sure then join pins 4 and 5 togeather and put the heater supply across 4-5 and 9

Regards
M. Gregg

Hi, Gregg.
Thank you for you quoted, I'm recheck again. I connected joint 4,5 to 6.3V and joint 9 connected to ground.:)

Disabled Account
Joined 2010
Hi, Gregg.
Thank you for you quoted, I'm recheck again. I connected joint 4,5 to 6.3V and joint 9 connected to ground.:)

Why have you connected pin 9 to gnd?
This can cause problems with heater to cathode leakage.

Pin 9 is one side of the heater pins 4-5 are the other.
Don't use pin 9 to hum buck.

Use some 220 ohm resistors from each side of the heater supply to Gnd.

Regards
M. Gregg

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.