NOS Russian Reflektor 6P6S (6V6) tubes were a pleasant surprise - diyAudio
Go Back   Home > Forums > Amplifiers > Tubes / Valves

Tubes / Valves All about our sweet vacuum tubes :) Threads about Musical Instrument Amps of all kinds should be in the Instruments & Amps forum

Please consider donating to help us continue to serve you.

Ads on/off / Custom Title / More PMs / More album space / Advanced printing & mass image saving

Old 21st August 2011, 05:31 AM   #1
diyAudio Member

Default NOS Russian Reflektor 6P6S (6V6) tubes were a pleasant surprise

Hello people!

A few years back, I picked up a quad of matched 1968 Russian Reflektor 6P6S (6V6) tubes, on the cheap.
Truthfully?
They were stuck into an old tube caddy and forgotten about, until yesterday.
They were still in their original yellow Russian boxes, and none the worse for wear.
So I figured since they're already paid for....why not?
They were paired with another very cheap-but-surprisingly-decent driver tube; a NOS Raytheon/Hitachi 6SL7GT.
I wasn't sure what to expect, maybe the jukebox sound from the local bar and grill??
What I got was a surprisingly good performance from a pair of power tubes, that set me back for the price of a super-sized Happy Meal.
Now to put them in perspective, they ain't on par with RCA gray glass or Tung-Sol (USA) black plates.
But for the price.....who's complaining!?

Steve
Old 21st August 2011, 06:18 PM   #2
diyAudio Member

Nice to hear. I've got a quad of them sitting in their yellow boxes that I haven't had a chance to use yet. Nice to hear some positive feedback.
Old 21st August 2011, 08:32 PM   #3
diyAudio Member

Old Russian tubes can sound surprisingly well ... I have some metal base 6H8C, excellent too!
Old 26th February 2014, 02:21 AM   #4
diyAudio Member

Not to bump a very old thread, but I just ordered a quad of 1976 dated 6p6s's, and I was wondering if anyone had any helpful experiences they would like to share regarding over-spec usage tolerance, and also durability?
Old 26th February 2014, 06:27 AM   #5
diyAudio Member

Location: Near Eindhoven, the sanctum of the pentode. and among that other things.
Send a message via Skype™ to v4lve lover
The 6p6s is pretty good

I'm building a fixed bias amplifier. its made for KT88's yet I tried every octal tube I had.

I tried some at 500V Ul. and to my surprise they held up whitout failure

V4lve.
Old 26th February 2014, 02:46 PM   #6
diyAudio Member

Default THATS INCREDIBLE!

Quote:
Originally Posted by v4lve lover View Post
The 6p6s is pretty good

I'm building a fixed bias amplifier. its made for KT88's yet I tried every octal tube I had.

I tried some at 500V Ul. and to my surprise they held up whitout failure

V4lve.
I'm amazed with that example. Just asking, do you know what you set the bias at in mA?
Old 26th February 2014, 06:51 PM   #7
diyAudio Member

Location: Near Eindhoven, the sanctum of the pentode. and among that other things.
Send a message via Skype™ to v4lve lover
At about 20mA per tube, well within the safe dissipation limits for most 6V6 that is.

However I would reccomend against it. I suspect that the screen was slightly overloaded, so at those levels its an accident waiting to happen.

Beware that I tested them for only about an hour.

V4lve
Old 26th February 2014, 07:07 PM   #8
diyAudio Member

Wow, they were overstressed by quite a bit at that voltage and current, as that was an idle dissipation of 10 watts, which is pretty high. The current wasn't my concern, but dispassion and voltage was, and I guess you answered my fears, as my tubes will all be going into a 1952 bell hifi amp that runs at about 415 b+, and a guitar amplifier that runs at 401 volts b+. But I guess I'll be okay of the tubes are still good... And the amps are both cathode biased so I think I'll be okay bias wise, as they run somewhat conservatively. Well, thanks for the info, does anyone else want to chime in with their 6P6S experiences?

Hide this!Advertise here!