• WARNING: Tube/Valve amplifiers use potentially LETHAL HIGH VOLTAGES.
    Building, troubleshooting and testing of these amplifiers should only be
    performed by someone who is thoroughly familiar with
    the safety precautions around high voltages.

Found iron recycling - what possible uses?

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
Hi:

I was just given a corroded chassis with what appeared to be a tube regulated power supply, built by some company's test equipment dep't. The tubes and chassis-mount tubular capacitors I assume to be electrolytic (4 uF 600 WVD, 8 uF 600 WVDC) had date codes as early as 1955. Cobwebs, insects, you name it...IIRC, had 2 x 6J6, 6CG7?, 6SL7?, 6AS7, 5?4...I think 5R4, not 5U4?

I've stripped it down and a friend will sandblast it for me.

I have some projects on a wish list I've never pursued for lack of economic motivation to buy iron for...for some reason I became interested in and bought a bunch of 6C33C-B and also bought an overabundance of 6080 or 6AS7xx (I'd have to check the carton) as well 5687's. I'm kind of in a situation where making use of what I have makes the only sense left looking for in a basement full of parts.

I'm wondering if there aren't more practical uses for what's in it and would like a couple opinion's please.

0) I forgot...these other items came from another teardown...UTC 10k:5k 130 mW 50-20000 Hz, use octal sockets. Are these 'interstage' or input transformers or and what might use that impedance ratio? Or doesn't it matter that much and look at in terms of turns ratio for driving a hard-to-drive tube?

1) Stancor P-8412 400-0-400 transformer, maybe 200 mA with typical 6.3 & 5 V ac filament windings. I'm not married to tube rectifiers, but the drop across them is probably helpful with such a high voltage transformer for many circuits.

2) Stancor C-2308? 8 H 300 mADC filter choke. I'm not married to choke filtering, but parafeed interests me to lighten the requirements for a SE OPT for the 6C33C-B. Considering I only have one or them and thus can't do a stereo pair, maybe a SE guitar amp, sure why not...with reduced bandwidth expectations, is the winding arrangement of such a choke agreeable to musical instrument amplification BW? I don't need MQ or other boutique quality.

I gather from reading TubeLab George's postings that the 6AS7 and 6C33C-B are both frustrating tubes for parafeed (stability and matching issues, IIRC?)

I have some 30 uF 370 VAC caps I thought would go with the parafeed idea, and actually want to try some unusual power transformers as low-primary Z OPT's. SE was out of the question, but the acquisition of the choke and the ac caps rekindled that idea.

I'm considering a 'universal amp chassis' with multiple socket options on it like 6C33C-B as well as the 6AS7-types. I'm not happy with the prognosis for the septar sockets I bought...I don't remember where from...the tubes were purchased from (but not made by) Svetlana (in Atlanta?). I might have gotten the sockets from New Sensor...I vaguely recall they might be Chinese :O(.

This is probably rambling, or will be if I don't quit here...gotta drive home & let the dog out anyway.

Thanks for reading. I'm motivated to finish a project...for a while anyway..I don't know I'll do if I ever finish one!

Murray

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.