• WARNING: Tube/Valve amplifiers use potentially LETHAL HIGH VOLTAGES.
    Building, troubleshooting and testing of these amplifiers should only be
    performed by someone who is thoroughly familiar with
    the safety precautions around high voltages.

Who knows where to get 1200v Silicon Carbide Schottkys ?

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
Yes . About USD 12.5 each .

I planned to change the GZ37 ( Mullard ) by the CSD05120-CR ,

To cope with the B+ rising , maybe i will change the kt88 (GEC )

by TT22 ( GEC ) , then there will be the turn of the miliamps

rising problem too, must get a tranny with 120ma , i will see

then .

Regards

Sic is slick.

I have played with Cree's 600v 6 amp SiC schottky in continuous-mode PFC boost regulator switching at 120kHz and feeding a 410v rail for a 300w SMPS. They are VERY VERY good. I feel that we will see a lot more of them as time goes by.

Yeah, the Itsm (surge) current rating is nothing to get excited about, but if you allow for that, they are pretty darn good.

Now, waiting to see who will make a SiC mosfet. Seeing it could run, solder permitting, at 300+ deg C, a class A with pretty small heatsink is a distinct possibility, especially seeing the efectiveness per square inch of a heatsink increases the greater temperature difference between it and the surrounding air.

Dear Diy friends ! Yesterday night , i took the 1200v SiC Schottkys and placed them in my buddy Audionote PSEII valve amp PSU where 1N4007 was standard . We switch , and the first thing we noticed (or not ) was silence . Before , as we have no measuring
device , we used to close our hears to the Proacs Studio Monitors
and we usually noticed a compound of continuous little noises .
We begin playing our favorite test tracks . Unfortunately for myself i am suffering from a desease in my left hear , and can t be trusted , but afterall from my point of view at a glance the decay of transitories was extended , the bass was better controlled so became more easy to follow .
When my friend with good hears said his system never sound like that . I usually believe him , not this time .

Regards

Pjotr said:
Hè, hè, here you are comparing the almost laziest diodes with the fastest you can get.

Cheers ;)

True, but it would be the reverse recovery charge (or virtual absence thereof) which is the kicker.

As has been noted previously on this board, the disadvantage of these devices is that they are not well suited to high forward currents. For low current stuff I expect these types of devices to perform very well indeed.

Petter

Sorry for my bad english !

Take two .

Encouraged by the amp results we attempt the Pre-amp ,a single 6SN7. Separeted PSU . There we find a 6X4 valve , a choke ,a 47uf +47uf Black Gate , feeding a B+ of 240v .
I put the Sic Schottkys directly on the seven pin valve socket and that resulted in a 254V b+ .
We started listening our fav, alternating valves and diodes .
In the end

the VALVE won

I am asking myself if the choke can have some bad influence , if
it can be disposable ?! Maybe i will try without it later .
We start thinking that the great improvement to do next in the system is to have a valve rectifier in the Audionote amp PSU

Regards

diyAudio Senior Member
Joined 2002
the VALVE won

Hi,

From a technical POV this is hard to follow...

What you're saying is the valve rectifier sounds better than the schottky?

No surprise here especially when CD is used as a source....he,he.

I am asking myself if the choke can have some bad influence , if

Quite to the contrary...expect chokes to have a positive influence on the sound.

We start thinking that the great improvement to do next in the system is to have a valve rectifier in the Audionote amp PSU

And why not...
Seems to me you have a lot of digitis to smooth over though...

Cheers,;)

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Seems to me you have a lot of digitis to smooth over though...
------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
You are talking about money ?! I spare mostly not buying expensive new petrol fueled cars ...( the biggest massive destruction weapon of our time , and it exists, really ) .

Thanks for the advice about the choke .

Regards

I haven' t understood , don't know what means digititis , i don't
even care about it , but i truely believe you are just kidding . I promise that when i one day eventually realise what you mean
that i will laugh a bit . Thanks for the much apreciated
feedback from a Special member of the forum . Cheers !!!

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.