• WARNING: Tube/Valve amplifiers use potentially LETHAL HIGH VOLTAGES.
    Building, troubleshooting and testing of these amplifiers should only be
    performed by someone who is thoroughly familiar with
    the safety precautions around high voltages.

Bottlehead questions for a tube neophyte

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
K12/ K16 tube amp mods? Help!!

RRSF (Buddha-style reverse recovery spike filter) helped too.

Hello, I recently purchased an S5 K16 tube amp kit. I have done all of the basic modifications to it: (snubbers, larger caps, adding a UF4700 diode, ect.), but I wish to make it even better.

I am seriously interested in building a reverse recovery spike filter for this amp, but I do not know how to or where to "integrate" it into the circuit. Could anyone with this particular knowledge email me or post a reply? at d u r k l a 18 a t y a h o o d o t c o m
I would appreciate any and all suggestions for improvement with this tube amp.
Thank you all for taking the time to read this.
Sincerely,
Andy

P.S Other members are correct when they say that it is fun to build and modify. This kit has given me more pleasure modifying then my bottlehead seduction. And what a learning experience this has been!

I was in a similar position when I first started looking. I wound up making the Bottlehead SEX amp because of cost, it is a headphone amp, and it can run relatively efficient speakers as an integrated amp. What more could you ask for? Plus it had great reviews.

I built a Gainclone, the SEX amp, a Cornet2 phono preamp and Rozenblit's 12AU7 line stage from scratch. I'm slowly learning and having a blast doing it, plus I'm doing it really on a tight budget. The sound is amazing and kills SS stuff.

Good luck with whatever you choose to do.

I've been living with my Nelson Pass Zen V3 for about a fortnight whilst I resolve a bug in my new amp. It was the first amp I built and I keep coming back to it. Its a real easy amp to live with, though not cheap to build. Never could get rid of that last residual hum though.

Sorry for the digression.

Shoog

I have built a few SS amps and now a few valve amps. The first valve amp I made was the TubeLab SimplSE http://www.tubelab.com/SimpleSE.htm

Each new amp I build goes in the main system for a while, but the SimpleSE keeps getting put back as my main amp! For much the same money but perhaps a little more work due to having to do the chassis work and order the components, you will get a better amp that puts out 7-8 watts in triode mode and about double that in ultralinear. TubeLab is a great contributor to this forum and his SimpleSE board is a great product. Cant recommend it enough as a quality, affordable project.

Derek,

I just finished my first tube venture and I looked into several different kits and boards. I went with George at Tubelab for several reasons. All the positive comments and the fact that he gives you options based on your experience and allows your project to expand and grow. I plugged in the CD player this week and with a few tweeks it made music. It sounded so sweet that I got in trouble with playing it into the wee hours and keeping everyone awake. I would highly reccomend him to anyone.

Dan

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.