If I change B+ do I have to change the circuit? - diyAudio
Go Back   Home > Forums > Amplifiers > Tubes / Valves

Tubes / Valves All about our sweet vacuum tubes :) Threads about Musical Instrument Amps of all kinds should be in the Instruments & Amps forum

Please consider donating to help us continue to serve you.

Ads on/off / Custom Title / More PMs / More album space / Advanced printing & mass image saving

Old 18th August 2011, 09:48 AM   #1
nige838 is offline nige838  United States
diyAudio Member

Default If I change B+ do I have to change the circuit?

If I change B+ do I have to change the circuit? I'm interested in lowering a plate volatge on a AX7 from around 275 down to 160-170 volts. should I worry about altering the circuit?

Thanks
Old 18th August 2011, 10:07 AM   #2
DF96 is offline DF96  England
diyAudio Member

Yes, although it depends on what the circuit is supposed to do. If a guitar FX box you will just get slightly different FX. If a hi-fi preamp you will get a bit less gain and a lot more distortion. 12AX7 like a high resistance in the anode circuit, which means either high HT/B+ or an active load.
Old 18th August 2011, 11:00 AM   #3
nige838 is offline nige838  United States
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by DF96 View Post
Yes, although it depends on what the circuit is supposed to do. If a guitar FX box you will just get slightly different FX. If a hi-fi preamp you will get a bit less gain and a lot more distortion. 12AX7 like a high resistance in the anode circuit, which means either high HT/B+ or an active load.
Thank you for your quick reply. would the changes be in the power supply or in the amplifier circuit?

thanks
Old 18th August 2011, 11:16 AM   #4
DF96 is offline DF96  England
diyAudio Member

In the circuit. Why do you want to power a circuit from the wrong voltage?

Hide this!Advertise here!