Request for obscure heater specs - diyAudio
Go Back   Home > Forums > Amplifiers > Tubes / Valves

Tubes / Valves All about our sweet vacuum tubes :) Threads about Musical Instrument Amps of all kinds should be in the Instruments & Amps forum

Please consider donating to help us continue to serve you.

Ads on/off / Custom Title / More PMs / More album space / Advanced printing & mass image saving

Old 17th August 2011, 02:57 PM   #1
diyAudio Member

Default Request for obscure heater specs

Hi all,

I'm mucking around with a microconroller controlled power supply for valve devices that adjusts voltages on various rails depending on the requirements of the valves.

I was wondering if anyone could provide me with some data for heater requirements for the valves which are still frequently used and traded in HiFi/guitar amps/valve radio etc. My background's in guitar amps, so nothing there uses more than 1.5A and/or 12.6V, hense why I'm asking here.

Since I'm just trying to spec the upper limits for voltage and current, and the power rating of the transformer, all I really need is the voltage and current ratings for valves which either have a high voltage or a high current.

If you know of a valve which is still traded and used today and uses very high current OR high voltage, please can you post either, the voltage AND current rating for it, or its name (so I can google for a datasheet to get these specs)

Rectifier valves are exempt from this; it's primarily for triodes, tetrodes and pentodes.
Old 17th August 2011, 04:00 PM   #2
DF96 is offline DF96  England
diyAudio Member

In the US there are 150mA valves for AC/DC radios (e.g. 35L6?). In Europe there are 100mA valves (U series e.g. UL84, UY85). In both cases these would have high heater voltages, up to 50V or more.
Old 17th August 2011, 04:41 PM   #3
ryuji is offline ryuji  United States
diyAudio Member

6c33c

keep in mind that there is also a sharp inrush current unless you are using current limiting of some kind, for any valve. My amp settles at 4 amps of heater current or so. but inrush due to cold filaments requires up to 12 amps for a few moments

Hide this!Advertise here!