• WARNING: Tube/Valve amplifiers use potentially LETHAL HIGH VOLTAGES.
    Building, troubleshooting and testing of these amplifiers should only be
    performed by someone who is thoroughly familiar with
    the safety precautions around high voltages.

Looking for a tube amp

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
Hello everyone!

I'm about to start a project and my "goal" is to build a tube amp.
I prefer a kit, only the tube amps.

I've found some tube amps witch is quite interesting from this site:
Kits - HiFi Tube Amp

Do you know witch one of these is mest for me??
It have to support 8 ohms speakers.

Or is there anothere site that is better?

I don't want it to be too expensive. Lets say about 400 dollar is maximum. BUT if you can found a tube amp that is really good for a little more its okay, you got it? ;)

I live in sweden by the way.

EDIT: I don't know anything about tube amps or anything simmilar to it.

Last edited:
Ex-Moderator R.I.P.
Joined 2005
So I had no idea what you meant when you wrote 6l6 or something like it ;)

most commonly used and available tube around ;)

you are ofcourse welcome to ask all you want
but searches on google might be a good 'teacher' too
tons of info to find there

look around here too
there are many threads about building tube amps here too
but ofcourse its good to know some 'keywords', when searching ;)
pick up a bit of knowledge here and there
and talk about it with us here too
no rush, just take your time, please :)

most commonly used and available tube around ;)

you are ofcourse welcome to ask all you want
but searches on google might be a good 'teacher' too
tons of info to find there

look around
pick up a bit of knowledge here and there
and talk about it with us here too
no rush, just take your time, please :)

Sounds like a great idea.
First you asked me about "el84 or 6L6, pushpull", are they diffrerent kinds of tubes? And what is pushpull? Is sounds, to me, how the tubes are paired togheter or something like it.

First I would think you'll be looking at the sort of Output Power you want from your new creation....

This will dictate to a certain extent What Kit you end up with, whether the design is -Push -Pull, or 'Single-Ended'

Each has advantages/disadvantages over the other...

So--IF say you're looking at around 20W per channel amp, probably you would be looking for a Push-Pull amp using summit like EL34 or 6L6 in Triode, or maybe with a little less power, EL84 in Pentode...

If you're only needing a couple of watts then a 'Single-Ended' amp, using Triode-wired output pentodes or if you have a little extra to spare, 2A3 or 300B triode output valves instead

A LOT depends on personal taste and the needs you have of the amp. This will direct you to what you'll end up with....

Worth looking at 'Tubelab' kits he's a member here and has a little section for the builders of his kits....

First I would think you'll be looking at the sort of Output Power you want from your new creation....

This will dictate to a certain extent What Kit you end up with, whether the design is -Push -Pull, or 'Single-Ended'

Each has advantages/disadvantages over the other...

So--IF say you're looking at around 20W per channel amp, probably you would be looking for a Push-Pull amp using summit like EL34 or 6L6 in Triode, or maybe with a little less power, EL84 in Pentode...

If you're only needing a couple of watts then a 'Single-Ended' amp, using Triode-wired output pentodes or if you have a little extra to spare, 2A3 or 300B triode output valves instead

A LOT depends on personal taste and the needs you have of the amp. This will direct you to what you'll end up with....

Worth looking at 'Tubelab' kits he's a member here and has a little section for the builders of his kits....

I have changed my mind about building a kit. I am now more interesting in building it from scratch.

Can you describe the different between pushpull and single-ended?

How do i know how much power (watt) i need in order to use it with a speaker??
And is watt interesting when you speak about tube amps because I have heard that it doesen't say anything in a regular amp.

Disabled Account
Joined 2007
The valves/tubes will have a power rating and that will differ from one type to another. Also the circuit is another (Circuit Topology) factor in determining this.
That PDF I linked you to explains different Tubes ei, Triode, Tetrode and Pentode are the main ones.
With small signal tubes they are often double Triodes (two triode tubes in one glass envelope).

With Power tubes (output tubes), Triodes are renowned as being more linear (lower distortion), but they often have a lower power output. Pentodes and Tetrodes can be made to behave as Triodes also.

There are a few factors that will dictate the power of the amp you build, the tubes you use, whether the circuit is class A or class AB, and also if it is single ended or push pull.

I'll let you read that PDF and some of the other guys might fill in bits too. There is also a thread at the top of the tube section with many links to literature on the subject.

Edit:Just on speakers. for example, Single Ended Triode amps need sensitive speakers in the mid 90db range and higher, as many of these amps will be from 2 or 3watts or 8 or 12 watts, again depending on what you use. my own speakers are not all that sensitive at 86db, so I am driving them with a class AB Push Pull amp with 2xEL34 for each channel, but they are made to behave as Triode tubes even though they are a Pentode tube, I get less power as Triodes but also less distortion.

I hope some of this helps.

Last edited:
The valves/tubes will have a power rating and that will differ from one type to another. Also the circuit is another (Circuit Topology) factor in determining this.
That PDF I linked you to explains different Tubes ei, Triode, Tetrode and Pentode are the main ones.
With small signal tubes they are often double Triodes (two triode tubes in one glass envelope).

With Power tubes (output tubes), Triodes are renowned as being more linear (lower distortion), but they often have a lower power output. Pentodes and Tetrodes can be made to behave as Triodes also.

There are a few factors that will dictate the power of the amp you build, the tubes you use, whether the circuit is class A or class AB, and also if it is single ended or push pull.

I'll let you read that PDF and some of the other guys might fill in bits too. There is also a thread at the top of the tube section with many links to literature on the subject.

Edit:Just on speakers. for example, Single Ended Triode amps need sensitive speakers in the mid 90db range and higher, as many of these amps will be from 2 or 3watts or 8 or 12 watts, again depending on what you use. my own speakers are not all that sensitive at 86db, so I am driving them with a class AB Push Pull amp with 2xEL34 for each channel, but they are made to behave as Triode tubes even though they are a Pentode tube, I get less power as Triodes but also less distortion.

I hope some of this helps.

Yes, everything helps me =)

Do you have to use both preamp tubes and power amps i a tube amp?

Disabled Account
Joined 2007
A power amp may only have two stages, but the first stage is usually small signal valves (though sometimes the first stage may use a smaller power valve) with power valves in the second stage. Some will have more than two stages.

If the power amp is designed appropriately, a pre is not needed.

Integrated amps may have three or more stages, there are no real hard and fast rules, it all depends on the circuit design and what is being aimed for.

Hmm...if I keep going with this I'll also need to read up on stuff :D

heh! I need to read more anyway :)

Last edited:
A power amp may only have two stages, but the first stage is usually small signal valves (though sometimes the first stage may use a smaller power valve) with power valves in the second stage. Some will have more than two stages.

If the power amp is designed appropriately, a pre is not needed.

Integrated amps may have three or more stages, there are no real hard and fast rules, it all depends on the circuit design and what is being aimed for.

Hmm...if I keep going with this I'll also need to read up on stuff :D

heh! I need to read more anyway :)

Hehe, but if I'm looking at this power tubes, SED SV6L6GC, do I need a preamp for this or is this tube capable of working alone??? ;)
And how do I know if it is capable of working alone???

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.