• WARNING: Tube/Valve amplifiers use potentially LETHAL HIGH VOLTAGES.
    Building, troubleshooting and testing of these amplifiers should only be
    performed by someone who is thoroughly familiar with
    the safety precautions around high voltages.

What happens If I use too weak output transformer?

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
I built 5W SE tube amp (ax84 P1)

I recycled an old tube radio - I used tubes(el84, rectifier), and both transformers.

But on the radio it said it had 4W.

The amp works fine, when I cranck it it squeals (but probably because bad wiring).

But I am worried what can happen with too weak OT? It could be that OT is more than 4W, but how could I detect the behaviour of weak OT?

I built 5W SE tube amp (ax84 P1)

I recycled an old tube radio - I used tubes(el84, rectifier), and both transformers.

But on the radio it said it had 4W.

The amp works fine, when I cranck it it squeals (but probably because bad wiring).

But I am worried what can happen with too weak OT? It could be that OT is more than 4W, but how could I detect the behaviour of weak OT?

Dont' worry! First: I doubt if you are really getting 5W out of a class A SE EL84. Second: say you get the, it will only do this in the peaks of music reproduction, so unless you listen to full sine waves at max power you are safe.

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.