• WARNING: Tube/Valve amplifiers use potentially LETHAL HIGH VOLTAGES.
    Building, troubleshooting and testing of these amplifiers should only be
    performed by someone who is thoroughly familiar with
    the safety precautions around high voltages.

Heater power supply help

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
I need some help from you guys who are more familiar into DIY stuffs.
My pre-amp PS has gone wild. The pre-amp tubes 2x6922 were very bright and when I did the measurement, heater supply went up to 12V. I did some measurement on components and found this regulator GL317 shorted. I replaced with LM317 and tuned the desired voltage 6.3V for the filament but, it can only run for less than a minute then it shut-off. The regulator turns very hot when loaded with the tubes.

My x'former secondary output 10.3Vac to the bridge rectifier 100V/6A and measured 12.96Vdc after filtering section and serves to be my input to LM317.

Any idea how can I fix this???

Thanks a lot for your halp.

With 6.3V across the filaments and about 2.5V across the 317, the simple solution is to make a pi filter by adding a series resistor in the PS and a second filter cap to bring the voltage at the input to the 317 to about 9V. Calc's out to 6.6R and about 10W.

I don't like series stringing tubes, esp when the voltage is a bit high. You can never tell exactly how they will line up in terms of voltage across each individual filament, so one may end up > 6.7V and shorten it's life.

Heatsink the 317 really well.

The LM317 has a trim pot connected to the common pin to (B-). This where I tune the ouptut voltage to 6.3V and a 150ohms resistor connected between commom to ouput pins.
It will only runs hot if the load is present. I did tried to load only 1 tube since my pre has 2 6922 tubes, but still hot. The regulator shuts-off after reaching a certain temp.
:bawling: how????

AX tech editor
Joined 2002
Paid Member
JOE DIRT® said:
The Lm 317 is rated for 1.5 amps with a modest heatsink

I would measure what each heater is drawing there could be a chance you have a bad tube

also is there a current limiting resistor going to each heater>???...if so that could be the culprit

DIRT®

Exactly. He had a system that worked, no it doesn't anymore, blows the reg. Logically, that points to a (partially) shorted heater wire (or series R, if there is one). So, advise on a complete redesign is not what he needs, because it wouldn't work anyway without getting rid of the cause.

jan Didden

Thanks guys for all your suggestions. But, I am a bit lost where to start. Roughly, I may need ~8Vdc without the load. It will be just nice maybe for 6.3V.
What is the best step now? Bring down the input voltage to ~9Vdc?
Any other design I can DIY with my existing 10.33Vac for the filament?
thanks again...
Billy

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.