• WARNING: Tube/Valve amplifiers use potentially LETHAL HIGH VOLTAGES.
    Building, troubleshooting and testing of these amplifiers should only be
    performed by someone who is thoroughly familiar with
    the safety precautions around high voltages.

Electronic transformer filament supply

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
I am planning to use an 12V electronic transformer for halogen lamps for my filament supply for a guitar amplifier. Assuming I want to convert this to DC first, can I use bog standard 1N400X series diodes in bridge mode followed by an LC to rectify it? Any thoughts/answers would be highly appreciated.

For a quitar amp. I doubt you will notice any difference if you just stick with using
ac for your filaments. If you did go with a dc supply you would probably need to use
diodes with much higher current ratings. And a LC filter will probably give you closer
to 10V instead of the 12.6 you need.

Hello,
If you have the transformer in your hand try it. Current through a FWB rectifier looks more like pulses than waves, I am +1 with the idea of bigger and faster diodes. If you do not plan on a voltage regulator a CRC filter works well for heaters. You will need to adjust the resistor between the capacitors to dial in the output voltage.
DT
All just for fun!

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.