• WARNING: Tube/Valve amplifiers use potentially LETHAL HIGH VOLTAGES.
    Building, troubleshooting and testing of these amplifiers should only be
    performed by someone who is thoroughly familiar with
    the safety precautions around high voltages.

decade bank values for a plate current tester

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
ive been thinking about making a home brew vacuum tube tester . for tesing small triodes and medium sized power tubes at normal operating points ,

testing all tubes whit their respective anode load voltmeter across the anode load and an ammeter in series whit it

you can calculate gain and steepness like VG1 is 5-15v current draw goes from 10 to 100ma meaning 90ma over 10 volts means 9Ma/v

now im thinking of a sort of tester that tests the tubes in variable parameters . EG curve tracer VG1/VS anode current draw

variable anode supply 100-350v 100ma maybye even more
0-30v 5A heater supply . wich will be just a lab power supply
variable 0-60v positive and negative (lab power supply

and a set of decade banks for the plate load cathode bias resistor . cathode bias resistor bypass capacitor , grid leak resistor .
optional are decade banks for the plate resistor

and 3 gas voltage regulators for grid voltages .

i was also thinking of BNC in and out so you can put a sine wave generator and your scope to watch the output . or check for microphonics

now i was guessing wich ranges the decade banks should have .
i was thinking of using 11 position switches where position 1 is 0. OHMS

for the cathode bias i thought of a decade bank whit 10 steps of 1K 10 steps of 100 ohms and 10 steps off 10 ohms all metal film resistors 3W
giving you a range of 0k01 -11k1

plate load would be 100ohms /111K 2steps of 25k 5 steps of 10k
5 steps of 1K 10 steps of 100 ohms depending on how much i want to spend on wirewound resistors . i could also just make it 0k1-11k
and a double decade bank for little high plate R double triodes .

grid leak resistor would be 10 steps of 100k

now there are some questions that come to mind .
* do i need to test the tubes whit the cathode bypassed ?
* is anode load critical . i mean if im writing my own test datasheets cant i just take a crude anode load . and benchmark against the average current draw .
* is it reasonable to make another 2 decade banks for little high plate load double triodes ? like 10x10k 10x1k 1k-110k 3w resistors

you could make the tester in a way that VG1 can be computer controlled through an interface . and the plate draw could also be computer monitored . you could make your own curves . :rolleyes:

am i just overcomplicating ? course to me the idea of testing tubes under real test conditions is better than testing it on a machine that gives 100% readings EG good bad testers

and if somone would host a site whit custom test parameters. you could test in a more universal and precise way . better than 100%

anyway im hoping forward to hearing your idea's .

edit . my ideas are not new and possibly wrong . but feel free to use it for any purpose you want .

the only thing i want to measure is current draw versus grid voltage .:D

just power the tube up under normal operating points ant put DC on G1

like testing an EL84 whit
plate voltage of 250v
plate load of 4.5k-5.2K
VG 2 = 250V tied to plate through a resistor
VG1 = -7.3v

benchmark anode current should be 48MA

and see howmuch MA's it does .

Last edited:
Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.