Aikido all in one heater issue - diyAudio
Go Back   Home > Forums > Amplifiers > Tubes / Valves

Tubes / Valves All about our sweet vacuum tubes :) Threads about Musical Instrument Amps of all kinds should be in the Instruments & Amps forum

Please consider donating to help us continue to serve you.

Ads on/off / Custom Title / More PMs / More album space / Advanced printing & mass image saving

Old 6th August 2011, 11:29 AM   #1
cjkpkg is offline cjkpkg  United States
diyAudio Member

Default Aikido all in one heater issue

I am having a wierd issue with my octal all in one heaters.

6sl7 / 6sn7 regulated supply voltage doubler.
Tubes out I get 12.5v with tubes in I get 4.0V. I even experimented and put the jumpers in parallel instead of series as if I had 12v tubes - I have a crappy set of these tubes to experiment with. I still get 4V with this arrangement.

Xformer is an edcor XPWR106 Power transformer for a 120V, 60Hz. line to 550V (275-0-275) at 125mA center tapped and 6.3V at 4A.

I think my next course of action is to wire up as full wave bridge for 6.3V...

Would a faulty regulator cause this discrepancy between being accurate with no load and cause a huge drop under load? That is about the only other thing I can think of...
Old 6th August 2011, 11:34 AM   #2
diyAudio Member

OK...
6sl7 draws .3A
6sn7 draws .6A

Total is 1.8A, I half the amperage by doing a voltage doubler - down to 2A. Plus whatever the regulator draws....I think I may have just answered my own question...I think the full wave arrangement wired in parallel will get me closer to my 6.3V target...
Old 6th August 2011, 12:46 PM   #3
diyAudio Member

Why not do this?

I believe there was a percentage of the B+ supply somewhere around 70volts to apply to the heater bias tap. It made my Aikidos quiet without going to DC heaters.
Attached Images
File Type: gif bias heater aikido.gif (3.1 KB, 197 views)
Old 6th August 2011, 08:04 PM   #4
diyAudio Member

WOW...chalk this one up to assuming the labeled bags that the parts come in are correct...those that have ordered kits from Broskie know what I am talking about.

So, one of the caps for the heater PSU section looked exactly like the specified 10,000uF cap but it was actually a 350V 47uF cap...

I replaced with the correct one - had a spare kicking around - and voila...getting 6.2VDC on the heaters.
Old 6th August 2011, 08:55 PM   #5
BZed is offline BZed  United States
diyAudio Member

You didn't read the value on the part when you installed it? OK.
Old 6th August 2011, 09:10 PM   #6
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by BZed View Post
You didn't read the value on the part when you installed it? OK.
Neither did Broskie when he put it in a ziploc baggie labeled 10,000uF 16V...just sayin...
Old 6th August 2011, 09:53 PM   #7
diyAudio Member

That's OK, on my last amp build I left of the VAS grid leaks entirely. Wonder why the goofy voltage readings here... Doh!
Old 6th August 2011, 10:00 PM   #8
BZed is offline BZed  United States
diyAudio Member

First rule of kit building is "Inventory the parts". It is possible for anyone to make an error. The first instruction in a Heathkit manual is to inventory the parts to make sure you have all the right parts. Then check them as you install them. Last is to double check before you power the circuit.

Last edited by BZed; 6th August 2011 at 10:04 PM.
Old 6th August 2011, 10:29 PM   #9
ryuji is offline ryuji  United States
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by BZed View Post
First rule of kit building is "Inventory the parts". It is possible for anyone to make an error. The first instruction in a Heathkit manual is to inventory the parts to make sure you have all the right parts. Then check them as you install them. Last is to double check before you power the circuit.
+1

Dont trust the labeled value, test EACH component as you lay it out, no '9 are good/exactly matched so far, this 10th one should be fine' I've personally seen resistors/capacitors that have been way off. If i need five resistors i buy 8 and throw away the three worst ones straight to the trash

LCR meters are a near-must. cheap too. Most multimeters have the ability to check diodes and many do transistors

Last edited by ryuji; 6th August 2011 at 10:33 PM.
Old 7th August 2011, 12:12 AM   #10
AJT is offline AJT  Philippines
diyAudio Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by 6BG6GA View Post
Why not do this?

I believe there was a percentage of the B+ supply somewhere around 70volts to apply to the heater bias tap. It made my Aikidos quiet without going to DC heaters.

this is a well known technique to combat hum and noise....with direct coupled circuits, it is mandatory to bias the filaments with dc so as not to exceed the cathode filament insulation voltage ratings....a look at the data sheets will confirm this...

Click the image to open in full size.
Click the image to open in full size.

Quote:
for B+ of 200v
R1: 220K
R2: 82K (54V), 120k (70V)
C1: 22u@100V, 22uF is a minimum
R3, R4: 100 to 470 ohms

Hide this!Advertise here!